National Eating Disorders Association

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
HelenR
Hope

Hi all. I am new to this journey and have a 14 year old daughter and it is really HARD right now. I'm just looking for stories of hope in recovery. That she CAN recover. I need a ray of light to get me through right now.

Marie31
Hope

Our daughter was diagnosed at 14; Feb 2021. She was hospitalized for 12 days and bringing her home was the most difficult thing I have ever done. We read some books that were so incredibly helpful and hopeful in the most difficult times. We are now 10 months into her recovery. She is definitely still recovering but things are much better. Just take it one day at a time, separate the illness from your child so you can be compassionate yet firm. It is so incredibly hard, but it does get better.

LZCdn73
hang in there

Our 15 year old was diagnosed in early September; continued getting worse until hospitalized for nearly a week in October. She greed to intensive outpatient treatment which lasted about three months until her weight was in a "maintenance range." Realize that seeking a higher level of help may require time off from school, but in the grand scheme of things, is a short term inconvenience for a long-term outcome (improved overall health). Also, underlying mental health issues may still linger even after the eating disorder is under control. In our experience, with her being medically stable lead to more clear thinking and energy to engage with others. Recovery is hard work; look for a family-based treatment program before long-term health effects are experienced. We're still early in her recovery but have hope.

Maare
there is hope

hoping your daughter is progressing. My 16 year old daughter is coming up on her one year anniversary of choosing recovery. we picked the date that she was released from the hospital last year as her recovery date. She spent nearly 2 full months in a childrens hospital.(not a residential treatment center) because she was so sick. She required an NG tube for at least half of her stay. Bringing her home was terrifying. I had to quit my job to full time take care of her. Treatment centers had months for waitlists. It was the hardest thing Ive ever done but also the best thing I have ever done. I helped save her life. and now with a nourished brain, she knows that and we are so very close. during recovery she would wish me dead. There is hope. keep going, fight for your child. it will be worth it. read everything you can and seek care for her everywhere you can, advocate for her. She is young which gives her that much more of a chance to be completely recovered and live a normal life. my daughter is not perfect. Her anorexia is no longer with us, but we struggle with depression, anxiety, and PTSD from those horrific 2 months in the hospital. But we are getting through. you and your daughter can too.

BunnyMom
Thank you

My daughter is 11 and just diagnosed. These are very helpful to read, thank you so much. We are seeing a therapist and a dietitian and are just into our second week of treatment at home with their guidance. Evenings are especially hard for us.