National Eating Disorders Association

1 post / 0 new
donnellylm
Finances of treatment

Hello, I am somewhat new at navigating the world of eating disorders. I have a 19 year old daughter who started with outpatient (RD and therapist) this summer. She was making good progress but then went back to college and has been struggling. There have been conflicting/differing recommendations from her team and it seems likely a higher level of care will ultimately be recommended as we sort things out over the next few days/weeks.

I have been in touch with a treatment facility who offers residential, IOP and PHP. I am having absolute sticker shock about the cost of treatment after insurance covers. And I'm blown away by how many people state their children have done programs multiple times. How do people afford this? Do they go bankrupt? Mortgage their homes? I'm really struggling with this aspect- especially with such low success and relapse rates. I am considering making her spend every dime in her savings account on her own treatment- would that be more motivation? Would love thoughts and input about this.