National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
WorkingErlking
Before Dinner Time

Hi,
I'm currently trying to recover from my eating disorder.
One thing that has really been upsetting me lately is before dinner. Just like what happened today. I was cooking with my mom, and I just felt so stressed, pressured, and overwhelmed as we made all the food. There was so much everywhere. I wasn't dizzy, but it was like everything was whirling around me and I ended up breaking down because it was all too much. Not all days are like this, but it seems to be a trend.
This is why I am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to make this part less stressful. What do you do when making the food is difficult? Do you just push through it like a semi truck or distract yourself by watching Mr.Bean? I don't know but please share any ideas.
Thank you.

_julie_
Cooking can be stressful

Cooking can be stressful and I also feel overwhelmed depending on what I make. I found that if I try to prep as much before cooking, like pre measuring ingredients, or if I make a side or appetizer to go with the meal, I'll make it before I even start cooking. I find that it makes cooking easier and more enjoyable and doesn't feel as stressful or frustrating. Also when I feel like when I'm cooking and it's getting away from me, I ask my mom to help out, so maybe you could let your mom take control and see what you can do to help her out so it's not as overwhelming