National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
hozi3r
trying to overcome bulimia

i've contemplated a lot on whether or not i should join an online forum, but i figured it might help seeing other individuals go through the same or at least, similar situations that i am currently in. i've struggled with bulimia ever since the pandemic started. in prior to that, i was actually anorexic at the age of 13. i started to get better two years after, but when the pandemic hit, my ED shifted to bulimia. im currently 16. my birthday was a couple months ago in january. my parents found out at the time that i have been vomitting out food and they took me to a psychiatrist. she asked for a quick internal scan of my organs and i found out that my ED was already damaging my liver, kidney and heart. i was in treatment for about a month, and somewhere during mid-february, i had breakfast with my mom and then i fainted and was hospitalized because of malnutrition. i've been in recovery for about 4-5 months, but i'm back at home now. i was unable to do any of my school work and exams due to the extreme lack of energy. i got better for a few weeks and now i'm back in a cycle of eating and purging and i don't have the courage to tell my parents because i know they will condemn me for it. they believe that treatment is really expensive and i feel guilty asking for help from my own parents. they're not the best support system to begin with and i don't really have any friends who can relate to this. in all honesty, i'm not quite sure if anyone will be able to help or to respond- but i figured sharing my experience anonymously might help lift the burden of secretly still struggling with bulimia.

_admin_moderator
Welcome!

Welcome Hozi3r to the forums! It's great that you reached out and decided to post! We hope that you find the support you are looking for, but if you ever feel like you need to reach out to someone, the NEDA Helpline and online chat is here for you! You can call 800-931- 2237 or chat, https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/helplinechat  to discuss support options. Helpline phone hours are Monday-Thursday 11am-9pm ET, Friday 11am-5pm ET. Helpline chat hours are Monday-Thursday 9am-9pm ET, Friday 9am-5pm ET. We care about you and continue posting! 

Depressedkid_1
Hozi3r,

I’m 16 as well. I struggle with anorexia. It’s a big step admitting that your struggling and asking for help. If your parents aren’t a good support try talking to friends. I know they may not understand but if their good friends they’ll try to help you as much as they can. I know my friends don’t get why I struggle with this but they try their best to help me. One thing that’s got me in a really good place rn is working on my religion and things that make me happy. And while building those up I’m learning to love myself. Going to church and talking to my friends there really helps me. When I was struggling with purging after eating one thing that helped me that might help you is I would always have one person, friend or family member or pastor who would be able to talk to me to distract me away from those thoughts. One thing my pastor always tells me when I relapse is nobody’s mad at me and it’s okay to slip up. Admitting the problem is the first step towards growth. Basically find someone to talk to you to distract you when having those thoughts and focus on the things that make/made you happy, like religion or hobbies. I hope this helped a little bit. <3