National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gem13
Insomnia is triggering me

While I never fully recovered from anorexia, I've at least been able to maintain a somewhat acceptable weight for the past several years and even learned to enjoy food again. For the past few months I've had horrible insomnia and it's ruining all of my progress. I've lost my taste for every food that I enjoyed before, making it extremely hard to eat. I eat every 24 hours and I have to force it. I'm scared. I'm seeing a psychologist in a week, but I feel like I'm about to drop from fatigue and hunger. Has anyone else had this happen due to lack of sleep? I'm so confused and frustrated...

Tryingtoheal
It's because of the eating disorder

this is what happens when you restrict and thus starve yourself. Seek out help. Go to the hospital to make sure you are ok. If it's a constant fatigue, it is due to malnutrition. You need help.

_admin_moderator
Dear Gem13

We are sorry to hear you are struggling and would like to encourage you to reach out to our confidential NEDA Helpline at 800.931.2237. You can call M-TH 11am-9pm ET and F 11am-5pm ET or chat with us online M-Th 9am-9pm ET and F 9am-5pm ET. Stay well and take care!

Annet
Hi Gem13,

Something wise to do would be to go to see your doctor. He/She may be able to order you some labs and check how your body is doing. It is important that your health and life are not compromised so you can get the best of therapy.

When we are sleep deprived, we feel very bad. In addition, if you are malnourished, life can become a hell. Your doctor may prescribe you some sleep medication (if needed). But he/she needs to have the whole picture before giving you any meds.

Take care
Annet

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources