National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
msnobody
Binge Eating, Food Addiction, Looking For Support

Hello, forgive me if this topic has been shared or discussed. I am new and didn't find an option to search for previous topics.

I have been suffering from binge eating/food addiction for about 3-5 that I have recognized I needed help but probably longer before I realized what was going on. I am food obsessed and will eat until I become almost sick. I was able to get it under control for about a year, I got healthy, got to a healthy weight in a healthy way and then something happened where “I fell off the wagon”. My trigger is fast food, it’s all I think about until I get it, I eat it until I can’t and then I sit around waiting until I no longer feel full and make another trip to another drive threw. When I had stopped I felt like food no longer controlled me and it was the greatest feeling I had felt in a very long time. I want to feel that way again but don’t know how to get back to that spot and more importantly once I get there I don't know how to stay that way. I was seeing a therapist for about a year but made little progress specifically on binge eating. I can no longer afford to see someone professionally for help. I feel like if I had more support, something more like addiction help with people I could reach out to when I get the urge to or begin to binge, people that understood me that could help a lot.

I am interested in meeting others with binge eating disorders and interested to hear about their received help or how they are working towards recovery. I would love to hear any kind of information about what brought you to binge eating to maybe try to find some insight into myself (though I realize everyone is different). Thank you in advance for any help or feedback received, looking forward to finally getting this under control, for good.

tryingtobebrave
Hi!

I’ve had BED, anorexia and bulimia. I’m 27 now, this started when I was 19, and I would say I’ve been in solid recovery for about a year. Once in a while, I still struggle with the urge to binge, everything in the pantry, even things I don’t like. But something that really helps is when I feel that urge, i stop and write how I’m feeling emotionally at the time, and what thoughts I’m having, what I was doing that may have triggered the urge. If you do this consistently, you might start to see a pattern and identify your triggers. For me, it’s triggers either trauma or just stress related, anything that starts to make me feel out of control. Some coping skills I turn to instead are distraction; a hobby (adult coloring books and diamond painting help me), a book, a tv show, reaching out to someone I trust to talk about the feeling that’s leading me to binge. You’re not alone and we’re here for you!

_admin_moderator
Support Options

Hi msnobody, we're sorry to hear you've been struggling, especially for such a long time. We understand that finding the ED treatment and support you deserve can often be unnattainalbe for a variety of reasons, one of which being the cost. However, we do have some options that you may be interested in. The following link has some information on free, virtual support groups that can be a good place to connect with others in similar situations: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/neda-network-virtual-support-groups. If you would like to discuss more free or low-cost support options feel free to contact our NEDA Helpline: number 800-931-2237 or chat options via this website. Helpline phone hours are Monday-Thursday 11am-9pm ET, Friday 11am-5pm ET. Helpline chat hours are Monday-Thursday 9am-9pm ET, Friday 9am-5pm ET. We wish you the best! 

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources