National Eating Disorders Association

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tryingtoheal
Dinner

I only ate half my meal. My therapist thinks I'm just dipping my toe into the ed at this point. I hope things don't get worse. I don't feel I'm doing that badly, even though I was a tiny bit light headed today, but not too bad.

_admin_moderator
Dear Tryingtoheal

You brought up a concerning symptom and we wanted to encourage you to seek medical help immediately. Please do not hesitate to call 911 if you are experiencing any medical emergencies. Additionally, we understand that you are seeing your own therapist but if you need additional resources you can always reach out to our NEDA helpline at 800.931.2237 M-TH 11am-9pm ET and F 11am-5pm ET or chat with us online M-TH 9am-9pm ET and F 9am-5pm ET.

2Healthy4me
How are we supposed to seek help in an ER w/ COVID warnings ?

They are telling us Not to enter the hospital unless it's life or Death situation. Most of us are calling med advice lines Instead.

I was terrified to call 911 when i felt dizzy last. I'm actually terrified of Ambulance Techs, ER Dr's, and these, "Places of healing" in general.

Should we reach out to a friend and at least alert someone before we pass out but, definitely don't drive there by yourself, to the ER that is, but breath...and count backwards from 5 to 0, and pray this too shall pass.

Perhaps just a panik attack, and call Med Advice to talk it out with a trained Nurse or Physician's Assistant.

julesthefox
I had to go to the ER

I had to go to the ER recently, and it really helped open my eyes. If you feel like you should call or should go, do it. You’re not helping anyone by not seeking help when you need it. The idea behind social distancing is to prepare. You deserve help just as much as everyone else, and even in a crisis, life still moves forward. Needing help doesn’t take a break. And you are worth it too. I kept apologizing to the doctor, and she stopped me and just said that I was not a burden, that she was fine, and that she was going to take care of me. If you need it, go. You deserve help too.

Tryingtoheal
How

do I seek medical help? I thought hospitals were only taking people with covid19.

_admin_moderator
Dear Tryingtoheal

Please call our NEDA helpline 800.931.2237Our trained volunteers can help direct you to the appropriate medical facility/plan to seek medical help.

Tryingtoheal
Ok.

thank you.

julesthefox
Hospitals have separate wards

Hospitals have separate wards; in fact, at least here, they are starting to amp up mental health services, as COVID is affecting people much more than just physically. See what is in your area. You deserve support

Tryingtoheal
I was thinking

of waiting until after covid 19 is over.

julesthefox
I would highly recommend

I would highly recommend going now. You need it, and you deserve it. We don’t know when this is going to end. And it seems like it’s just getting pushed out farther and farther. ED likes to come up with excuses for us not to reach out. Fight that urge. You are worthy of recovery

Tryingtoheal
Thank you so much

I will talk about it with my therapist Monday and go from there.

Tryingtoheal
I just emailed my therapist

it will be interesting to see if she responds to the email.

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources