National Eating Disorders Association

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Miggi
My Brother

A couple of months ago I was reading and posting on the forum when I came across a post that went something like this, "I have a lot of anxiety surrounding what my sister eats. I have bad eating habits and sometimes so does she. I always compare what I eat to what she eats. I just have to eat less than her, and it makes me so sad when she doesn't eat a lot, I have a problem with eating and she knows this, but I just have to eat less than her."
I didn't think much of it until I saw the username, it was my brothers name. And what was posted seemed like he definitely wrote it. I think a lot about that now. I am posting on the forums because of my ED problems, and so is he. Yet, neither of us knew that the other was so troubled by our ED's. We both hide it from each other.

iwanttolive
Miggi

Wow, that is incredible. Does he know you know? Do you think you can talk about it? How do you feel about this? Are you okay? This can really be a time of healing for the both of you. If you are able, please let us know more about what happens from here. Thank you for sharing.

iwanttolive

Miggi
He does not know that I know,

He does not know that I know, and I have been trying to be more commatative of my habits, as his concerns were comparing what he eats to me. Its kind of hard having two people with eating disorders being so close and eating together all the time because our bad habits clash. I don't plan on telling him I know, but it kinda opened my eyes.

iwanttolive
Miggi

Hi. It must be a difficult situation. Does your brother know you know that he has an eating disorder? Do you think it possible perhaps with the help of your counselor to talk to each other about what is going on? Do you think it would help the both of you?

I am glad to hear that seeing his post gave you some insight. How has it been since you last posted?

Thinking of you.
iwanttolive

Miggi
Thanks for the advice, I don

Thanks for the advice, I don't think I will confront him, I will just make sure to avoid saying/doing things that might trigger his ED, and he does know he has one

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources