National Eating Disorders Association

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pineapple-Boy
How do you cope?

I've been struggling with my relationship with food for a long time. I knew my eating habits weren't normal for a while and have caused me significantly more distress as time goes on. I switch between restricting and over exercising to bingeing. Food is on my mind 24/7. I've been like this for years. I didn't think I had a serious problem until the past week or so. I was watching a show and one of the characters ate/didn't eat like I would. The reaction from a character that saw this gave me a wake up call. I want to get better.

I told a friend a little about it but they don't understand and change the subject quickly. My family wouldn't believe me or take me seriously. I don't have access to therapy or support groups right now. Is anyone in a similar situation? How do you cope?

_admin_moderator
Pineapple-Boy

We noticed you are having a hard time finding resources in your area. Here at NEDA, we try to provide resources that specialize in eating disorders to help those looking for help. Please remember that you are welcomed to call the NEDA Helpline to talk to someone when you're feeling down. The NEDA Helpline's number is (800)941-2237 and is available Monday-Thursday from 9AM to 9PM ET and Friday from 9AM to 5PM ET.

We hope you're able to find some support through this time and please keep posting!

Pineapple-Boy
I already talked with the

I already talked with the hotline. There wasn't much they could do.

Savedbygrace
I've found

The only thing they're willing to do is help you find resources.

Pineapple-Boy
I know. I don't have access

I know. I don't have access to any

a.thompson120
Pineapple Boy

Hi,

It sounds like you are in a hard situation. From what I know, I can give you a couple tips.

-Find an online support group that meets fairly often and connect with people through that. -There are some apps and websites that allow you to talk to therapists online.
-Writing or typing what you eat each day is a good way to assess yourself and keep you motivated to get better.
-If possible, identify what triggers your habits.

Remember you don't have to get through this alone. Know that your illness is making your choices and habits with food, not you. Your worth doesn't depend on your illness.

I wish you the best.

a.thompson120
Pineapple Boy

Hi,

It sounds like you are in a hard situation. From what I know, I can give you a couple tips.

-Find an online support group that meets fairly often and connect with people through that. -There are some apps and websites that allow you to talk to therapists online.
-Writing or typing what you eat each day is a good way to assess yourself and keep you motivated to get better.
-If possible, identify what triggers your habits.

Remember you don't have to get through this alone. Know that your illness is making your choices and habits with food, not you. Your worth doesn't depend on your illness.

I wish you the best.

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources