National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
rhysbun
I’m done with recovery, I’ve had it .

Someone at my treatment center is completely insensitive to the fact that I am transgender / nonbinary and that recovery for me will need to be different than people who don’t have that experience . The risk of having breasts after fully restoring weight would be detrimental to me . I have a hysterectomy surgery coming up next year which I have been cleared for by two doctors, the surgeon and my psychologist and got told at treatment that I cannot be allowed to make such a decision despite it being a life saving surgery as a trans person . I reached out for being suicidal and was told that I’m depressed simply because I’m malnourished . I felt so angry and humiliated and its been a whole week since this happened and I’m still upset . I want to leave the treatment center and recover on my own or with someone else .

_admin_moderator
Dear rhysbun, we are very

Dear rhysbun, we are very sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to pass on some numbers since you mentioned being suicidal. This number is really important to have: (800)273-TALK(8255).  If you don't feel comfortable talking, please text "NEDA" to 741741 or visit one of these websites:

Please be safe!

lovetowrite81
Rhysbun

Hi Rhysbun-

I just want to let you know that you are heard. I'm sorry that you are going through this and that you are not being treated in a way that recognizes your identity. That must be extremely difficult. I hope you continue keeping us posted on how you're doing and how recovery is going. We're here to support you <3

julesthefox
I can’t imagine how

I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to be so disregarded. I’m sorry they’re so insensitive and dismissing of you and your needs. You deserve so much better. You deserve healing and recovery and what you need to be you! It’s agonizing when practitioners don’t recognize that. Have you thought about looking at other treatment places? I know there are organizations out there that help with eating disorders and embrace the queer community. It can be a little more difficult to find, but it makes a world of difference. Don’t give up on recovery. You are more than worth it. And they don’t deserve you if they can’t see that. Maybe try contacting NEDA? I know they can help you find practitioners in your area that match your needs.
I hope you’re still able to get the surgery. I completely understand how important that is. Stay strong. You are worth it.
Julesthefox