National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
immortalturtle
Event struggles

My work has a lot of events with food which used to not be such a problem, I wasn’t really aware I was restricting and I didn’t think much of it. I just avoided food. But now that I know about my ED i find events with food to be a thousand times more stressful. I ended up leaving a networking dinner because I was so stressed I felt dizzy and I couldn’t handle it.

Does anyone have any advice for how to manage eating at events? I haven’t told any of my coworkers about the situation yet because I prefer not to so I feel very alone and nervous in the environment.

ape130
I try to focus on the goal at

I try to focus on the goal at hand and nothing else. If I need to eat then I focus on my portion size, get it done. Food is like medicine for us, we have to take it. it's hard when you're surrounded by so much food and people, brings a lot of anxiety, so sometimes i'll take an anxiety med to help with that. In my Ed it was helpful to know ahead of time what we would be having, but I know long term that's not the goal.

alwaysunsure
maybe

maybe finding a comfort/safe food that is likely to be at an event? there are certain foods that I'm okay with snacking on in front of others just because it might be something small or healthy...otherwise i agree with the above