National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
GabbiG
Period Returning

I am in recovery, and am working towards getting my period back. I was wondering if it is necessary to continues to eat larger portions of food or more frequently if my period has not returned, but if I am at a healthy weight? Also how do you know when you are fully recovered?

iwanttolive
GabbiG

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry your post didn't get a response right away. How have you been? To your question about your periods and how much you need to keep eating and how long until your period returns, all I can say is that everyone's body is different and we can not give out like that on the forum. What you really need to do is see your doctor and ask them about this very important question. I am glad to hear that you are working on recovering.

To answer when is someone recovered? That is so easy to answer. The process of recovery can take a long time and usually requires the help from professionals. There are a lot of ups and downs and it is considered a journey. Some people do not believe in total recovery but that it will always be in the back round, but I believe differently. I believe in complete recovery and part of that is due to my faith in Jesus. I believe there is Hope and total freedom from any addiction or life controlling behavior. I have a long history of many hospitalizations and programs and suffering with eating disorders and other things. It wasn't until a year ago that I was able to let go of the need to be a certain weight and trust God with the fears that I thought the eating disorder would help me cope with or protect me from that I was finally able to surrender it to Jesus. There had been other times throughout the years that I had tried doing that, but this time I was serious and tired of living in a state of sickness. And feeling that I wanted to die all the time. For me, recovery means not being afraid of food, being able to eat what I want without scrutinizing the ingredients. To be able to go out to eat and enjoy myself and not be worried about the calories I am taking in. To go to a birthday party and not be afraid I am going to either binge, or look longingly at the food and not touch any of it. To not have food or weight be the central focus of my life. To live my life and do things that I wasn't able to do before because food was involved. It means that when tempted to use food to cope, to be able to ask God for help and ask myself, am I hungry, or hurting. And if not hungry, say NO. I do not need the food. It won't solve the pain I am in right now. To use skills, I really enjoy coloring Mandala's. It means not being afraid to be weighed at the doctors. Others differ on this but for me, if I am afraid to know what I weigh, I believe the eating disorder still has a hold on me. Others never want to know what they weigh and that is okay. It is how you feel it would be best for you. I am happier now at a higher weight than I was at what I thought would bring me happiness. Being at a higher weight gives me the freedom to not be consumed with the contents of food items or being afraid to go places where food is. It means being able to eat when hungry and stop when full. Sometimes that takes a while to learn to get those senses back but until then to know what you need to eat and to be able to do it without suffering.

To be able to engage with life and people and finally be happy. That is some of what I think recovery means. I hope this helps and I am happy to further discuss this with you if you have anymore questions. I am proud of you for working on recovery. I came up with a term, working out the recovery muscle. The more we say yes to the things we need to say yes to and learning to say no to what isn't helpful, that is working the recovery muscle and the stronger it will get.
Take care,

iwanttolive and I am

GabbiG
Thank you!! That was so

Thank you!! That was so motivating, and very helpful!

iwanttolive
GabbiG

Hi. I am glad you were helped by my post. How are you doing?

iwanttolive