National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
zenayugen
I did it again

Hi Everyone,
After I shared my story in here I feel relieved. I still didn't talk to my parents openly but I will and when I go back home (I'm studying in a different country away from my family) I will start seeing a therapist again. However, I have one month to go before going back home and I am responsible for my own recovery until I begin my therapy.
I don't know but I keep banging around 6-7 pm last two days and I'm sure that I'm getting enough nutrition. I feel bloated and it scares me a lot. Maybe I'm stressed because of my exams, I really don't know, but I really want to fix it.
Another thing which gives me the anxiety is the fact that I will go back home in one month. I gained a lot of weight in here and when ı go back to my home country and meet my friends, they would say me things like, "oh, you look like you gained" or "people usually gain weight when they go to Europe anyways". For this reason, I sometimes don't want to go back.
Please tell me if you have any advice. Thank you.

alwaysthinking
Talk

Do any of your friends know that you have an eating disorder? I knew when I was in inpatient that my friends knew that I had an eating disorder and I also knew that they made a lot of comments about my weight prior to being admitted. For that reason before I got discharged, I started writing letters to a good deal of them letting them know that I did not want anyone to make comments about my weight, size, shape, what I was eating etcetera. I let them know that it would be very harmful to me and detrimental to my progress. They have been wonderful and have not said a word about those things. Granted, you can't stop everyone from making these comments but if you talk to them ahead of time or write a letter if you're more comfortable doing that , hopefully that would stop some of those comments. Just a suggestion and I hope this helps

alwaysthinking
Talk

Do any of your friends know that you have an eating disorder? I knew when I was in inpatient that my friends knew that I had an eating disorder and I also knew that they made a lot of comments about my weight prior to being admitted. For that reason before I got discharged, I started writing letters to a good deal of them letting them know that I did not want anyone to make comments about my weight, size, shape, what I was eating etcetera. I let them know that it would be very harmful to me and detrimental to my progress. They have been wonderful and have not said a word about those things. Granted, you can't stop everyone from making these comments but if you talk to them ahead of time or write a letter if you're more comfortable doing that , hopefully that would stop some of those comments. Just a suggestion and I hope this helps

lovetowrite81
Zenayugen

Hi Zenayugen-

I'm glad that you feel comfortable sharing on the forums and know that we are always here for you & understand. That is awesome that you will begin therapy in several weeks- such an important step forward in recovery! I can understand the anxiety around others commenting on your weight. I think the suggestion of writing a letter is a good one, otherwise just being ready to address a comment if it is made- would you feel comfortable being open about what you are going through/explaining why certain comments are triggering or upsetting to you?

I hope you continue posting and let us know how you're doing <3