National Eating Disorders Association

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michele1994
Pain killers and binge eating?

Hi everyone.

Quick introduction. I have been binge eating for about eight years, but I didn’t realise that I had a problem until maybe a year or two ago, I always thought I just had low to no self control and loved the taste of food. But I started to realise that loving food wasn’t really my motive and when I got into a binge there was something else that came over me.

Anyway. Now to today’s question.
I had a shoulder injury at the end of last year and was prescribed a pain killer. While on it, I had literally zero urges to binge eat. Has anyone else had this or a similar experience? I have Googled it and can’t find any related studies. Being on it, especially for a few days, makes me a bit nauseous, which isn’t fun. And I obviously don’t want to become addicted to it or anything. But I can’t help wondering why it helped my get my urges under control?

Any help or explanations would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling very lost on this matter.

Jennj
Bad idea

I’m not an expert, but do not relay on pain killers to control your urges. That is going to open up a whole new bucket of issues. Focus on the root of your problem causing the binging and work on fixing that. I know it’s not easy, it’s a daily struggle for me, I’m lucky to go a week without a binge and it’s a constant internal battle. I too have taken medicine that has suppressed appetite as a side effect, but it’s definitely not something you can rely on or something you can take indefinitely, then your old habits come back quick. Try to find something to distract when you get the urge to binge, focus your attention elsewhere until “the wave” passes. Good luck!’ Know you are not alone in the struggle.

iwanttolive
Michele1994

Hi. I am sorry to hear of your injury, but unfortunately we are not allowed to give medical advice and mention specific medications. But I believe what Jennj said was good advice. I would talk to your doctor about medications to help with the urges if you want to pursue this, but again, we are not allowed to give out that kind of information. I wish you the best.

iwnattolive

s.boewer
I did that

Hello- I spent over 15 years addicted to pain killers of a different type because it made the urges go away and I ate semi-normally, no binges bur some restricting. I was forced to stop and suffer a detox when I quit and then the ED urges resurfaced. I did this cycle of on-again off-again pain killers and in-and-out of my binge cycles depending on my drug use. Ultimately, I wound up in a treatment center for addiction to pain meds and in therapy for my ED. All I accomplished by using pain killers to cope with my ED was a new addiction and big problems. It eventually came down to dealing with the underlying issues in therapy and grieving around old trauma. I also used the 12-steps to address my ED after using them to recover from my drug addiction, and use the tools I learned daily to maintain my recovery. The medication you are taking is addictive and, as I am now a drug and alcohol counselor, have met people abusing pain meds even though doctors claimed it was not addictive. I can't give medical advice but as a professional in the addiction field, I can say that substituting one addiction to manage another addiction only prolongs the recovery process and creates more issues to sort out in the long-run. I hope you will get support to address the issues at the core of your ED without having to recover from a drug addiction because it is so hard to do both. After 34 years I finally have found real recovery without drugs finally. Recovery can happen and I wish you the best.

_admin_moderator
Hello Michele1994 and s

Hello Michele1994 and s.boewer,  Your comments have been edited to follow our community guidelines. We do not allow the mention of specific medications on the forum. You can review the full community guidelines here:  https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forums/community-guidelines  Thanks, and continue posting!

_admin_moderator
chunkymonkey68, Your post has

chunkymonkey68, Your post has been deleted, as it did not adhere to our community guidelines. Remember that this is a place of support and positivity--we're here to be respectful and encouraging to other users on the forum. You can view the community guidlines here: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forums/community-guidelines Thanks!

_admin_moderator
Medical Signs and Symptoms

Hi, Michele1994, since you mentioned that you have been feeling nauseous lately we just wanted to post the signs and symptoms of a medical emergency. The following are just some of the signs of a serious problem that demands immediate medical attention:• accidentally or deliberately caused themselves a physical injury• become suicidal• confused thinking and is not making any sense• delusions (false beliefs) or hallucinations (experiencing things that aren’t there)• disoriented; doesn’t know what day it is, where they are or who they are• vomiting several times a day or has uncontrollable vomiting or diarrhea• experiencing dizziness or fainting spells• too weak to walk or collapses• painful muscle spasms• complaining of chest pain or having trouble breathing• blood in their bowel movements, urine or vomit• a body mass index (BMI) of less than 16• an irregular heartbeat, and fast heartbeat, or very low heart beat (less than 50 beats per minute)• cold or clammy skin indicating a low body temperature or has a body temperature of less than 35 degrees Celsius/95 degrees FahrenheitOr any other serious medical concernsIf you experience any of the above, we highly recommend seeking medical attention as soon as possible. Another option is 911.

Michele1994
Thank you for the answers

Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it. And thank you s.boewer for sharing your story. I think I am going to try and stay away from for pain medication. I am realizing that there is no easy way out of this disorder.

s.boewer
Hi

Hi- I just want to say that I am glad you are thinking twice before using your pain medication to manage your ED. It is really difficult to recover from an addiction and an eating disorder simultaneously, and I don't recommend that route to anyone. You're right, there is no easy way or any short cuts to recovering from an eating disorder and, if there was a way, we would all be well and not writing here! Take care and be well:)

s.boewer
Hi

Hi- I just want to say that I am glad you are thinking twice before using your pain medication to manage your ED. It is really difficult to recover from an addiction and an eating disorder simultaneously, and I don't recommend that route to anyone. You're right, there is no easy way or any short cuts to recovering from an eating disorder and, if there was a way, we would all be well and not writing here! Take care and be well:)