National Eating Disorders Association

1 post / 0 new
iwanttolive
ChieSharp

Hi. I am sorry you are struggling along with your daughter. I think it is okay to talk to your daughter's therapist. She is only fifteen, and still a minor. Keeping track of meals and everything one eats can turn into its own obsession, as you are seeing. At times they are beneficial to help the team or doctor see what is being eaten, but then no one really knows if they are writing down what is being eaten. Since it has been such a problem, I think it would be good for your sake as well as your daughters to see what her therapist says. Many times, people with eating disorders have obsessive compulsive tendencies, I am not saying your daughter does as I am not a professional nor do I know your daughter. I am speaking in a general sense. This can be a from of that. The need to be in control and to calculate and recalculate and to obsess over the list can be another way to avoid what one is really feeling. Another distraction. So I would say yes. Go ahead and share your concerns with her therapist and even if you feel you can, with your daughter. Maybe put a time limit on how much time she spends with the tracking. As she is still a minor, you have more say than if you weren't. What would she do if you told her she can't take pictures of whatever she is taking pictures of? Are you able to talk to her about this and your concerns and say not to do it? I am just thinking of some things that may help, but again I am not a professional or therapist so take what I say with a grain of salt. I wish you the best, hope you post again and let us know how things go.

iwanttolive