National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flipflop75
Not sure?

I have a 17 yr old daughter who is losing weight without explanation. First, let me just say that we do have a doctors appointment in a couple weeks to get a full physical and blood work done to check for medical reasons. Mentally she’s great. We are extremely close and she tells me everything (sometimes too much, haha). She has never had body image issues any more than what I would consider “normal”...no red flags ever is what I mean. She has always had an athletic build, she’s never been thin until now. I know I can’t post weights here right? To give you an idea of what she’s lost. I don’t know anything about eating disorders which is why I’m here. Can you have an eating disorder without being aware of it? She tells me she’s just not hungry and will not eat as much during the day. Not on purpose, but because she’s just not hungry.

I’m just looking for any kind of advice/support I can get and how to best help her. She knows she’s losing too much weight and is receptive to my help. Thank you!

iwanttolive
Flipflop75

Hi. I see no one responded to your post. I am sorry about that. How is your daughter doing? Has anything been figured out about the weight loss? Do you think it could be related to an eating disorder? Have doctors been able to figure anything out yet? I hope things are going better since you posted. I would be interested in knowing if you have figured out why your daughter is losing weight and if it has stopped yet. Take care,

iwanttolive

BobJ48
Unaware ?

" Can you have an eating disorder without being aware of it? She tells me she’s just not hungry and will not eat as much during the day. Not on purpose, but because she’s just not hungry."

I do think it's possible for someone to have an ED and not be aware of it. Often EDs have to do with control issues, which can seem different to the person than food sorts of things. Not eating…that would seem to have to do with food of course, but often it's the self-control aspect which seems most important to them. Which…doesn't everyone need to be self-dissplined ? So it can all seem pretty normal to them to begin with.

The test would be to see what sort of anxiety she'd find herself feeling, if somehow she noticed that she happened to be gaining, instead of losing like she's been doing up 'till now.

If she found herself feeling really anxious, or feeling anxious simply at the thought of gaining, that would be something to pay attention to.