National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lstrode
Long fight

I am a male in early 30s I was first diagnosed with a ED at 14, now I struggle with this every day, I have yet to tell any of my friends for fear of how they will/would react , I have good days & bad here recently I been in my low modes, how does one go about saying something to anyone about this ? I have people I trust but a nother struggle is I am transgender, but I fear there reaction if I were to say anything, any advice out there ?

Thank you..

justgina
Lstrode

Hey Lstrode! Welcome to the forums, I'm glad you found us. :) Each situation is unique, but I was very nervous to tell anyone about my eating disorder, too, for fear they would judge me or wouldn't understand. For 6 years, I never told a soul. But I can tell you that EDs like to thrive on isolation, and tend to creep back in when we're feeling alone...so I applaud you for wanting to put an end to this period of silence. You're refusing to let that ED win! I started out by telling very close friends and family, and I found that, although many of them had a hard time completely understanding the complexities of eating disorders, they were all extremely supportive and wanted to be there for me in any way they could. Of course you can never be certain what kind of response you might get, but even if it's not quite as positive as you'd hoped, i do believe it gets easier and easier to talk about the more you do it. You just have to take that first leap! Even just sitting down with a friend and saying "hey, there's something I've been having a tough time with - could I talk to you about it?" Or if that's too daunting, you could write a letter instead. Either way, I'm proud of you for reaching out for support. You got this!

justgina