National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
amistrong
Does this happen to anyone else?

I went to the doctor for another weight check, and I had lost a few pounds but it wasn't anything that seemed to bother my doctor too much but I always get the same speech about how I need to stop being so strict and rigorous and how I need to stop weighing my food and eat more. I can do this for about I week. I seem to be able to ignore the food scale and my bathroom scale and how many grams of carbs are in something and how many calories I'm eating for about a week and then I just fall right back into my old patterns. The unrestricted eating for a week always ends up with me gaining a few pounds, even though most of the pounds are probably water weight, but tomorrow morning I have my meals all planned out and I'm planning to double my exercise and I just can't stop. This cycle is why I don't lose a ton of weight between my weight checks, which happen monthly, but I'm worried that I'm screwing up my metabolism.

ChooseRecovery
I see positive steps

Hi amistrong: I and many others on this forum can totally relate to what you are going through. It's amazing progress that you can ignore the scale for a week at a time. Maybe next week it will be for a week and a day! Metabolism is one of those tricky things that can get out of whack. I'm not a health care professional, but do you have access to a nutritionist that has expertise in ED and can help you eat in a way that accommodates your individual metabolism? If not, the NEDA helpline can help you find resources in your area. Good luck and keep fighting for your recovery.

kanmuri
Doing the yo-yo

I have the same issue with the scale. If I get on it and don't see the number I like, I usually end up with a binge, which I understand is completely ridiculous but I just can't stop. It's like punishing myself for not seeing the result I was expecting. So I try to say as far as possible from the scale as I can. I use clothing as a way to judge my progress.