As we celebrate National Volunteer Week (April 16-22), I want to express my deepest gratitude to the incredible volunteers who have dedicated their time, energy, and expertise to the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA).
Volunteers are the heart of NEDA. Their unwavering passion for wanting to make impactful changes in their communities is unmatched. NEDA volunteers symbolize hope and inspiration for the millions of families in the United States affected by eating disorders. Their commitment to supporting those affected by eating disorders drives our mission forward.
In 2022, more than 7,300 individuals attended 48 walks across the country for the first time since the pandemic. NEDA walks are an inspirational space where individuals and families unite to support one another without feeling alone in their recovery journey. None of this would be possible without the strength and resiliency of our incredible walk coordinators and volunteers.
The Campus Warriors program is another example of the incredible impact that volunteers can have. More than 300 volunteers from 233 colleges and universities nationwide have signed up to become Campus Warriors. These individuals work to raise awareness and fundraise for NEDA on their campuses, creating an inclusive and supportive community for those affected by eating disorders.
It is time to make a difference in your community. Here are some ways you can get involved with NEDA!
- Sign up for volunteer opportunities: Volunteers bring a wealth of knowledge and lived experience to NEDA. The first step toward your volunteer journey is joining our volunteer network to learn about new and exciting opportunities that align with your skills and interests!
- Share your story: We want to hear why volunteering at NEDA is important to you. Email us at or post a video on social media during National Volunteer Week, and remember to tag @neda!
- Become a Campus Warrior: Students and faculty nationwide are coming together to raise awareness on college campuses. It’s time to make an impactful change on your campus. Sign up to become a Campus Warrior today!
- Attend a NEDA Walk: NEDA Walks are a great way to connect with people in your community who are passionate about bringing people together, raising awareness, and walking toward recovery. Find a walk in your area here!
- NEDA Content Creator: Introducing NEDA Content Creators – a volunteer program that aims to educate, advocate, and help tell better stories through media. NEDA is committed to sharing the stories of individuals and families affected by eating disorders. With your support, we can bring our community closer to a world without eating disorders. We invite you to fill out the registration form. When an opportunity to share your story comes up, you’ll be the first to know!
- Program Testing: We are excited to roll out new program options in the coming months. We rely on community members who are highly knowledgeable about personal experiences with eating disorders and the needs of community members reaching out for help for us to continue to make updates and expand these program offerings over time. We are creating a group of volunteers to help us test these programs and provide additional feedback on additional programming, content updates, and community perspectives. Join our volunteer network to learn more.
- The Body Project: We plan to relaunch our Body Project program distribution to high school girls soon. This opportunity allows community members closely tied to our cause to integrate into high school communities and distribute an evidence-based prevention program with over 20 years of research. We would LOVE to see you give back to your communities in this personal and directly impactful way. Our goal is to reach over 3,000 girls in the next year. We’ve found that the most effective way for a school to get excited about this program is to hear through other community members who can speak about the program’s impact that could reduce the risk of eating disorders from personal experience. Updates will be available on our volunteer network.
We invite you to join our community of passionate volunteers who share NEDA’s vision. You can support individuals and families affected by eating disorders by sharing the gift of your time, talent, and lived experience.
Volunteering is a precious gift that allows us to come together to build a stronger community. By volunteering with NEDA, you are making a difference in the lives of those affected by eating disorders. Thank you to all of our volunteers for your contributions. We hope you continue to be champions of volunteerism and encourage those around you to get involved.
To begin your NEDA volunteer experience, click here!
Gabe Gavito is the Senior Program Manager at the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) with a master’s degree in mental health counseling from Mercy College. Gabe’s journey at NEDA began as a volunteer in 2011 before joining the staff in 2013. One of Gabe’s greatest strengths is his ability to inspire and uplift others. He is deeply committed to empowering volunteers to create meaningful changes in their communities. Gabe has recruited and trained over one thousand NEDA volunteers, many of whom have pursued careers in the field of eating disorders as clinicians, researchers, and advocates. His efforts have been instrumental in building a strong and dedicated community of volunteers committed to supporting NEDA’s mission.