New research published today in the International Journal of Eating Disorders confirms what we’ve all known for years – models are being pressured to lose weight or change their body shape/size, and as a result, disordered eating and full-blown eating disorders are rife in the industry.
Pressure to conform to the ultra-thin beauty ideal hurts not only models but consumers as well, so in advance of New York Fashion Week, NEDA has teamed up with the researchers, the Model Alliance, and more than 75 leading models – including Iskra Lawrence, Jennie Runk, Sabina Karlsson, and Geena Rocero – to call on the fashion industry to put health first!
In the open letter we released today, these amazing models challenged the American fashion industry to make a serious commitment to promote health and diversity on the runway. Now we need you, as a consumer, to stand with them and make it clear that health and diversity on the runway are important to us all.
Sign the public petition today and challenge the fashion industry to…
- Make a serious commitment to promote health and diversity.
- Uphold the understanding that models under age 16 do not belong on the runway.
- Observe child labor laws in New York State, which require that models under 18 years old have proper documents and schedules.
- Review the latest research on eating disorders and unhealthy weight control practices in the fashion industry and commit to working collaboratively with industry stakeholders and medical experts.
Help us promote this important petition over social media using #DearNYFW!
- Models shouldn’t have to sacrifice their health for their job! Read @nedastaff’s letter – and stand with us: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/NYFWpetition #DearNYFW
- The data doesn’t lie: eating disorders are a problem at NYFW. Let’s stand together & create change: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/NYFWpetition #DearNYFW
- #DearNYFW Models shouldn’t have to sacrifice their health for their job. Let’s stand together & create change: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/NYFWpetition
- New research confirms that models are being pressured to sacrifice their health for their job. It’s time to prioritize health and celebrate diversity at NYFW. Sign NEDA’s petition today: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/NYFWpetition #DearNYFW
- Unhealthy weight control behaviors are a real problem in the American modeling industry. Let’s show the world that diversity is what makes us strong. Sign NEDA’s petition to the fashion industry today: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/NYFWpetition #DearNYFW