On October 7th, NEDA will be hosting the 10th annual New York City NEDA walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Whether this is your first NEDA Walk or you’ve been walking with us from the start, it’s going to be a day filled with hope, support, community, and of course—fun! Keep reading for ten things we’re looking forward to at this year’s walk!
- Connect with people who understand and support you. The sense of community at NEDA walks is unlike any other. Whether you’re meeting up with old friends, walking in support of a loved one, or taking steps towards your own recovery, there are people who understand your struggle. NEDA walks bring people from all over the world together as one.
- Hear inspiring stories of hope and recovery. During the opening ceremonies, listen to people from all walks of life talk about their experiences with eating disorders. There will be many stories of strength and resilience from those in recovery, medical professionals, and NEDA allies.
- Participate in our raffles! From a relaxing spa day, to dinner reservations with a view, to the ultimate yoga relaxation package, there are so many options to choose from. Even better – all the proceeds from our raffles go towards supporting NEDA’s programs services. Grab some raffle tickets and try your luck at winning one of our awesome prizes.
- Take some fun photos in our GIF photo booth! Stop by our photo booth to have a gif of you and your biggest supporters made. We’ll have plenty of props for you to choose from, so grab your friends and strike a pose!
- Raise awareness for a misunderstood illness. Eating disorders are life-threatening illnesses that affect millions of individuals and their families every day, but stereotypes and myths often prevent people from seeking treatment. When you participate in a NEDA walk, you help fight stigma and shine a light on eating disorders as a serious public health issue.
- Take a selfie with Iskra Lawrence. NEDA ambassador and #AerieReal role model, Iskra Lawrence, will be joining us at this year’s NYC walk. Stop by to say hi and snap a selfie before opening ceremonies begin!
- Show others they are not alone. 30 million Americans will suffer with an eating disorder at some point in their lives, which means that everybody knows somebody struggling. Join together in a united force to show that no one needs to fight this illness alone.
- Visit our many expo tables to participate in some fun awareness activities. Stop by one of our tables to decorate a card for someone in a treatment center, write a letter to your senator asking for research funding, or get a NEDA flash tattoo.
- Help save a life. By participating in a NEDA Walk, you’ll be raising funds that support life-saving programs, advocacy efforts, and research initiatives. Every dollar raised brings us one step closer to a world without eating disorders.
- Show off your NEDA spirit with some cool merchandise items. Did you know that every time you reach a fundraising milestone you become eligible to receive a free gift? Prizes range from portable phone chargers, to water bottles, to sweatshirts – so don’t wait to start fundraising!
Ally is a Senior at Seton Hall University studying Social and Behavioral Sciences and a Former Helpline Volunteer with the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA). Prior to her time on the helpline she was a Development Intern. Ally plans on going to school to become a School Psychologist and enjoys running, writing poetry, and going to concerts in her spare time.