National Eating Disorders Association

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Everyone I hear talk about the ED recovery process and the psychology of the disease compares it to substance abuse. My question: is there a sponsorship type program, similar to what you would find with AA or other 12 step programs? We are reluctant to send our 15 yr old to a treatment facility just yet, despite the advise of her doc, but thought maybe if she could sit down with someone who has been through it and in recovery, she might gain some insight on what works and share her thoughts and issues with someone who has been through it. We've asked her psych. and she didn't know of anything.

Also, several on here have expressed that they don't like my screen name, and I decided I would change it, but cannot figure out how to do it. Anybody that can help me with that?



I have not heard of sponsors. I am no expert, but give residential treatment serious consideration. From what I understand, the longer the duration of the ED, the harder it is to break. Sometimes life needs to be put on hold to deal,with an issue like this. All the best!


Hi DD,

I am also not sure of any sponsorship programs, other than OA (Overeaters Anonymous). Another option if you don't feel comfortable with sending her to a facility yet could be looking into support groups in the area. That could be a way for her to connect with others struggling with similar issues. But I do agree with GlennW in that sometimes residential treatment is what is needed at the time.

I wish I could help you with the screen name, but can't say I know how to do that other than creating a whole new account. Hopefully there is an easier way than that!

Please keep us posted! Mainly I just wanted to say we're all here for you. Thank you for sharing with us and for your deep concern for your daughter.


Hey DD.

Hey DD.
I can't speak much to eating disorder sponsors.
But there might be someone who can.
Maybe you could ask one of the volunteer's who man NEDA's helpline:
The number is 1-800-931-2237 and they're available Monday-Thursday from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm and Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (EST)
I also found this link which might be somewhat relevant:
And as far as your name is concerned, I'd at least keep "Dad" as part of it. Maybe something like Determined_Dad or something?



Hi dumbdad,

You can change your username by clicking the "update my profile" link on the login page (to the left of the screen). Once in there, you can select "edit my profile", where you can edit information including your username. Just let us know it's still you :)

I am not sure of any programs like that for eating disorders. I do want to strongly advise listening to her treatment team. No one on this site is a professional and, while we can give wonderful advice, we can't take the place of medical professionals. It may also be worth discussing other options if the idea of residential treatment is something you are strongly opposed to. Sharing the eating disorder experience and finding someone who has overcome it can be a useful part of recovery, but it can't take the place of professional help.

Take care,