The NEDA Navigators program is a peer-to-peer online support structure geared towards offering short-term, goal-oriented assistance. NEDA Navigators are volunteers who have first-hand experience with eating disorders, either through navigating their personal recovery or by supporting a loved one now in recovery. As such, NEDA Navigators are familiar with the complex systems and emotions involved with seeking help for and working towards recovery from an eating disorder.
Navigators have been trained by NEDA staff and our clinical advisors to be knowledgeable sources of guidance to others.
The program is appropriate for the following individuals (age 13+):
- Those struggling with an eating disorder
- Those who are caring for a loved one struggling with an eating disorder
NEDA Navigators can:
- Assist with finding resources, treatment options, and support groups
- Help identify useful websites, books, articles, videos, webinars, and more
- Answer basic questions about eating disorders and body image issues
- Offer wisdom, encouragement, and hope by sharing personal stories
- Listen to your concerns and decrease feelings of isolation
- Help navigate insurance issues for treatment coverage
- Provide listings of organizations that offer treatment scholarships as well as research studies offering free treatment