National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
awasi9
Undeserving

I’ve struggled with bulimia for years. Other than some stomach problems I’ve been mostly medically stable. But lately I’ve done a complete turn around and have been diagnosed with atypical anorexia with purging. I just don’t eat anymore. I can’t. I don’t feel like I deserve it. When I do have to eat I purge. It’s making me feel so weak and tired all the time. I get winded so easily, my chest hurts I get light headed when I stand up, sharp pains in my ears, my eyes are blurry, and my hands and feet have been going numb but I feel like I deserve all these things. I don’t deserve to feel good.

recoveryj
My heart goes out to you. It

My heart goes out to you. It sounds like the eating disorder is really loud right now. Did anything specific trigger this? Also, do you have a therapist or dietician helping you along this journey? Recovery is far from linear. But you don’t have to go through it alone. You DO deserve to eat. Now, today, and every single day. Always. And you don’t have to do anything to earn that. You are inherently worthy. And you deserve care and nourishment. Please seek help. It sounds like you could really use some extra care right now. You are not alone

_admin_moderator
Medical symptoms

Hi awari9, thanks for posting on the forums. We’re very sorry to hear about how what’s been going on recently. You mentioned some medical symptoms, and we encourage you to speak with a healthcare professional - the following are just some of the signs of a serious problem that demand immediate medical attention:

• accidentally or deliberately caused themselves a physical injury
  • become suicidal
  • confused thinking and is not making any sense
  • delusions (false beliefs) or hallucinations (experiencing things that aren’t there)
  • disoriented; doesn’t know what day it is, where they are or who they are
  • vomiting several times a day or has uncontrollable vomiting or diarrhea
  • experiencing dizziness or fainting spells
  • too weak to walk or collapses
  • painful muscle spasms
  • experience pain in the lower legs
  • complaining of chest pain or having trouble breathing
  • blood in their bowel movements, urine or vomit
  • a body mass index (BMI) of less than 16
  • an irregular heartbeat, and fast heartbeat, or very low heart beat (less than 50 beats per minute)
  • cold or clammy skin indicating a low body temperature or has a body temperature of less than 35 degrees Celsius/95 degrees Fahrenheit
  • experience dizziness, nausea, fever
  • wounds/cuts heal slowly
  • feel tingling in the hands or feet
  • blurred vision

If she experiences anything above, we highly recommend seeking help from a medical professional as soon as possible. Seek medical help soon on an outpatient basis if she:

• have significant heartburn and/or a burning sensation after eating
  • have other gastrointestinal concerns
  • have high blood pressure
  • struggle with significant joint or muscle pain
  • have difficulty sleeping (falling and/or remaining asleep)
  • struggle with fatigue, sudden weight gain, and/or hair loss
  • have frequent urination or unquenchable thirst
  • have gained and lost significant weight repeatedly
  • have gained significant weight in a short period of time
  • struggle with chronic diarrhea or constipation

If you are in crisis, please test "NEDA" to 741-741.If you need assistance finding resources in your area, please feel free to contact the NEDA Helpline at 800.931.2237 M-Th 11am-9pm ET and F 11am-5pm ET. Additionally, you can chat with us online M-Th 9am-9pm ET and F 9am-5pm ET. Please don’t hesitate to reach out and take care.