National Eating Disorders Association

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
kcporter6
choosing recovery despite "not being sick enough"

I've been attempting recovery on/off for the last 4 months with very little effort. I have stabilized physically, but it feels impossible to get rid of this ED. I don't have much of a support network at all and I feel like I'll never want to get better. I still want to be sick and I am still so fixated on the wrong things like getting a diagnosis or numbers, etc. I thought this might be a good place to see what other people say because I often see misrepresentation of EDs in other resources. The most professional help I've received is weekly counseling but I just deny issues a lot and it doesn't really help.
What experience or who helped you feel motivated to recover?

Annet
Hi kcporter6,

I felt motivated to change once I started to see all the damage I had done to my body.
Do not wait until it is too late. Some long-term effects can not be reversed...

Also, I think my motivation increased when I realized living with an ED was not really "living".
It was just like living "in a cage" and wasting all the wonderful things life can give to us.

Please discuss these feelings with your counsellor. He/She will be able to help.

Annet

kcporter6
thanks

Yeah I've never called it a cage before but I have been thinking about my little bubble, how I would rather be comfortably suffering, never talking to people, binging/restricting/purging, and I like the idea because it's what I know and I would at least be physically fine. Social anxiety is kicking my butt right now.

Tryingtoheal
Unfortunately

You are not physically fine when binging, purging restricting. Suffering is not being fine. It would be a good idea to talk to professionals who have experience working with people Suffering from eating disorders.

_admin_moderator
kcporter6

Hi kcporter6, we’re glad you’re posting on the forums and hope they can be of help to you. You deserve recovery, and support along the way. If you need assistance finding more resources in your area, please feel free to contact the NEDA Helpline at 800.931.2237 M-Th 11am-9pm ET and F 11am-5pm ET, or chat with us online M-Th 9am-9pm ET and F 9am-5pm ET. Please don’t hesitate to reach out – stay strong and take care.

whitneyaleksic
Going through the same thing

Going through the same thing right now. I decided to take “before” pictures to try to remind myself how miserable it is to be in the depths of my ED with the hope of taking an after picture with a genuine smile of my face someday... I keep telling myself over and over that I’m sick enough. Find your motivation. I’m using my dogs and family as motivation. I’m only on day 1 of recovery, wish me luck.