National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
dcherbert5
Endurance Athletes / Restriction

Hello, all! I was just wondering if there were any other endurance athletes on here, who struggle with restriction.

I've been dealing with it for 15 years now, and was hoping to hear some stories of your journey, and maybe how your performance changed since recovering. Or, even tips to help on the road to recovery.

Hope you all are well, take care!

plantsanddogs777
Hello! I am a high school

Hello! I am a high school swimmer who has been dealing with restriction and purposeful under-eating for a little over a year now. Though I am just entering my road to recovery, I definitely think my performance was hindered as a result of under-eating. Even just after 2 weeks of starting to consume more and challenging my thoughts, I've noticed a significant increase in my energy levels, speed, endurance, and overall disposition to swimming. Especially as a swimmer, we've been told to not eat before swimming to avoid nausea and stomach pain, and my disordered mind took that a bit too far. Now what I try to focus on is imagining my food directly powering my body, and not only does that help my relationship with food improve, but it also pushes me to be faster in a healthy sense.