National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
NitaHope
Suggestions needed for Self Help book/workbook for Binge Eating

My beautiful 28 year old daughter has suffered all of her life - yo-yo ing up and down since she was young. She has been anorexic and obese and anorexic and obese.She also suffers from bipolar. She is very intelligent - law school graduate.

What to do? She has admitted binge eating a whole cake. She never feels satieted. I am worried about her health. As a teen she asked for a personal trainer. We got her one. She started running and working out and dropped weight and looked very healthy, then the obsession kicked in and she became anorexic. A couple years later it was the other extreme with binging and excessive weight gain in a short period of time. She has lost her gall bladder as a result of the excessive overeating and quick weight loss.

I am not sure if it is appropriate, but I want to order her some self-help books. At the risk of butting in, I feel that I need to offer something because I love her. She sees a psychiatrist for anxiety and bipolar but I don't think they even talk about the overeating.

Any suggestions for workbooks/books? I have seen many, but not sure what works. There are CBT, DBT, and then specific books about eating disorders. I would really like to hear from someone regarding suggestions.

_admin_moderator
Dear NitaHope, you can

Dear NitaHope, you can contact NEDA's Information and Treatment Options Helpline for information on eating disorders and treatment/support options. Book recommendations are not allowed on the forums. You can reach the Helpline by calling 800-931-2237 or chat with a trained volunteer online here. Please continue to post!