National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
hdecker
5 years in recovery, now anxiety

Hi. Along with everything else going on this year, the clinic that I work at is closing. I have a very specialized degree. I’m trying to find another job in the state I live in, but it looks like I may need to move out of state again. I just bought a custom built home a month ago here, and only moved in 3 weeks ago. I am beside myself again tonight. I have been without ED behaviors for 5 years and have only rarely had ED thoughts during that time. But in the past few days I have been inching closer and closer to behaviors and am having thoughts almost constantly because my anxiety is so high. I’ve been out of therapy for 4 years. I don’t know what to do. I know it’s all about control right now, which I have very little of in these recent situations. Thanks for listening.

_admin_moderator
Dear decker

Welcome to the forums! We hope you find the support you are looking for here. Additionally, we want to encourage you to reach out to our NEDA Helpline where our trained volunteers can help you locate additional resources and support in your area. You can reach our Helpline at 800.931.2237 M-Th 11am-9pm ET and F 11am-5pm ET or chat with us online M-Th 9am-9pm ET and F 9am-5pm ET. Stay well and take care!

Annet
Hi Hdecker,

I am sorry to hear you are strugling but I want to congratulate you for keeping yourself strong.
If anxiety is triggering your ED thoughts, why not to schedule a few sessions with your therapist to work on it? In that way, you could feel better and avoid any type of ED slip.

In my personal case, mindfulness helps a lot. There are a lot of 15-20 minutes mindfulness-guided sessions in the web that you can take.

When I am too anxious, sometimes I cry because I can not stand still and focus. But little by little, I start letting my anxiety go.

Cheers
Annet

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources