National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
looktothelight
how to like your body/stop obsessing?

hi, I hope everyone is having a good day! I'm in recovery from anorexia (been in recovery for 2 years), and I gained weight during recovery. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for how to start to like your own body? I feel like i'm constantly obsessing about my weight, and it's just exhausting and I often end up in tears. Sometimes I just want to unplug my brain, you know? I want to be kinder to myself, or to even think about it less, but I'm just not sure how. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Miggi
I'm sorry your struggling, it

I'm sorry your struggling, it is quite the journey and you have to work for it! I'd say therapy, getting rid of your scale, and buying new clothes to fit your healthier body. It helps me to avoid looking of photos of myself from when I was really skinny. Also don't do BMI calculators. I hope things get better, I also know there are some self-help books that everyday you write one thing you like about yourself or something your proud of yourself for doing.

siawoodson
For me it worked to just

For me it worked to just avoid looking at my body. I mean it may sound silly and I definetly don't think it's a permanent solution but sometimes like you stop picking apart what you see when you...don't see it. I don't mean to take it to a level off .. like avoiding it at all costs but just for example in the shower I used to just look at my stomach every time and cry if it looked bigger etc. but now I just keep my head up. I don't look into mirrors or windows to check my reflection when I'm out.
I don't know if this is the right way to do it but I mean it's just another way to stop body checking. Not body checking is the best thing you can do. You really don't need to know what you look like 24/7 even though ED voices may make you want to check all the time.

And then sometimes when I'm in a good mindset I will look at those parts of my body and just say what I like about them. Say/think positive things about your body even if you don't necessarily believe them because if you repeat them enough you eventually do. At least for me it has worked so far but I'm no expert!

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources