National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
girlwhenquiet
Triggering Family

I'm with my parents pretty consistently because I live at home. I'm 22. I feel that my father has an undiagnosed eating disorder himself, but he will not receive treatment or believe that he does, which is fine, I guess. I know many of us with EDs have parents who exhibit disordered behavior and thinking. But I currently weigh more than my father, and I am not able to handle his constant self-hatred. Oh, and when I asked politely for him to not comment on his NUMBERS in front of me, he and my mom both get irritated and defensive that I'm trying to "control" them, when I'd just like some peace in my own home. I'm trying to not relapse. But at this point I want to so badly that I don't see a point in doing anything. My mental health has declined so much that it is interfering with my work life even. I'm a disaster, and I feel as though I cannot safely go back to therapy due to COVID. I also feel that I cannot really get anything out of online therapy. I'm processing a lot of personal things right now, but I just don't know what to do. I'm exhausted and I guess I'm trying to vent instead of relapse. I don't know. All I know is that I have a relapse planned out, and it's been a while since I've done that.

_admin_moderator
girlwhenquiet

Hi girlwhenquiet, we’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing these difficult feelings while being at home with family. We encourage you to reach out to the NEDA Helpline, which is available for information surrounding support and resources. The helpline phone line can be reached at 1-800-931-2237 (Monday-Thursday 11:00am-9:00pm, Friday 11:00am-5:00pm EST). Helpline chat hours are Monday-Thursday from 9AM to 9PM ET and Friday 9AM to 5PM ET. Also, a list of resources specifically for COVID-19 can be found here. Please continue to reach out to the forum for support as well. You are not alone, and please take care of yourself.

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources