National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
vedawms
Pancreatitis-induced anorexia and inability to STOP gaining weight after surgery

Hello,

This is my first post, so please bear with me.

I am female, 47 years old. I became anorexic at age 14, and continued not eating until about 3 years ago, when weight started flying off of me. As it turns out, I had developed pancreatitis, and it was more effective at causing me to lose weight than anything I could do to myself voluntarily.

After diagnosis, I put a lot of effort into putting weight back on in order to qualify for surgery. I made it to X pounds by consuming about X calories per day. I nevertheless had zero muscle tone and had bedsores from my office chair.

Now, after surgery I eat X calories per day and can't keep the weight from piling on. I have put on X pounds, and now weigh X pounds. It keeps climbing!! I am not diabetic and I am taking probiotics to curb any SIBO. I also take supplements to curb cravings. I eat a very well balanced diet and I walk a brisk pace each night. I am RAVENOUS.

I just don't understand why my weight keeps going up instead of down and why I am so hungry. My digestive enzymes don't seem to impact my weight at all, plus or minus. I've been told that I am exiting starvation mode, but I don't know what to do with that information. I do have a nutritionist, but she does not know about my eating disorder.

Can anyone help me figure out why my weight is going up instead of down? It's really freaking me out.

Thank you.

_admin_moderator
Dear vedawms

We are writing to let you know that we have had to edit your post of content that is not permissible on the forums and may be triggering to other members. Please remember to not discuss numbers (weight, calories, bmi, etc) or specific foods and supplements/ medications. Discussion/ how-to/ tips on weight loss are also not permissible. You can review our community guidelines here https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forums/community-guidelines or you can reach out to our confidential NEDA Helpline at 800.931.2237. Take care!

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources