National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
yorkhaven36
Not Eating/ Losing Weight

Hi, my name is Patrick and I am 36 years old. I am reaching out bc I am losing weight regularly and not eating well. I haven’t ate well in about two months. I was losing weight during the winter and my doctor did tests on me. They all came back fine and well. I was healthy. Since March, I have not ate well at all. I consume little during the day and at nighttime and that’s bad. I lose a few pounds a week estimated. I fear swallowing and eating due to an episode back in March when i did choke on some food. I fear if I when I eat now I’ll choke, have heartburn, be bloated, or excessively burp. All of these symptoms are true to a degree. My doctor doesn’t seem to want to help me after a few months ago. My family is unsure how to help me thru this crisis of mine. I’m unsure what to do next. I did reach out to a counselor for help that’s a start. I should call my doctor back but what to say something but what. They will be horrified of how I look. My family is horrified of my appearance as well. My weight loss is the cause. I’m at a crossroads. I care about my health and want to get better. I’m unemployed for the past few months as well. Life has been a challenge a well. It seems to be better to be stuck in old ways and not care. Feel free to message me back with any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Patrick

_admin_moderator
yorkhaven36

Hi yorkhaven36. We edited your post to remove numbers and mentions of specific foods, which are not allowed on the forums. You can review this in our community guidelines found here We also wanted to make sure to post the NEDA Helpline information for help finding support and resources. The helpline phone line can be reached at 1-800-931-2237 (Monday-Thursday 11:00am-9:00pm, Friday 11:00am-5:00pm EST). Helpline chat hours are Monday-Thursday from 9AM to 9PM ET and Friday 9AM to 5PM ET.  Thank you for understanding and please continue to post!

BobJ48
Patrick

As you said, it's possible that this is connected with the choking episode that you had, rather than it being a medical condition. A person can find themselves being fearful that the same thing might happen again if they eat. If there are other things happening in your life right now that cause you to be anxious, those anxieties might attach themselves to you fear of choking as well.

Maybe you know how that can be - we worry that bad things might happen to us, and when we look around, sometimes we see that it's true! Look at how thin you have become, and how difficult it is to eat! So the thing that we want to avoid to try to stay safe (eating) ends up causing outcomes that only increase our anxiety instead. Kind of like a snake eating it's own tail, if you know what I mean ?

Sometimes our worries can go around in circles like that. Particularly if there are other things happening in our lives that cause us anxiety too.

So yes, I think you are being wise by reaching out to a counsellor. They may be able to help you with this, because it sounds like it's nothing that you are enjoying at all.

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources