National Eating Disorders Association

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tryingtoheal
Nervous

im really nervous about treatment. I don't want to eat.

iwanttolive
Tryingtoheal

Hi. I understand your fears and they are valid. While in treatment, you will have nurses and techs who will be available to work with you regarding these fears. You will be with others who understand as well and you will be able to support each other. What is important is that you get your body nourished and hopefully your thinking will be clearer and you will hopefully be able to understand that the food and weight gain isn't to harm you but to keep you alive. And to learn why you started down this road of eating disordered eating. There are reasons that it developed and this is one of the things that hopefully will be begun to be understood and then when you get out you can continue to figure out what purpose the eating disorder serves. It always serves a purpose. This doesn't mean we got sick on purpose or with intention. No. It means that we couldn't handle things that happened or that we are fearful and don't know how to cope with the fear. That is part of recovery, just as much as the refeeeding or the regulation of eating as some have bulimia o binge eating and need to stabilize as much as someone who is underweight or average weight.

I don't think I am making sense but it is normal to be afraid. You won't be alone. Staff there will help you. Will it be easy? Probably not and you may feel really uncomfortable for a while. Just know that the weight that is gained is necessary. It may not feel very comfortable at first. You need to give yourself time to adjust to the change in weight. I often say this is a journey, not a sprint.

I pray for you that God gives you His peace as you take this brave step to start saying yes to life again. For me, the eating disorder was a way of saying no to life. It was too scary and I needed to hide. I don't know your story or what fears you face or what purpose the eating disorder serves for you. Again, this is not saying blame or that you chose it. It just happened that we fell into it I guess. Now you will be given tools and learn new ways of coping without using food to cope, or numbers or fill in the blank. This can be a great opportunity to learn about yourself, get support while getting to a healthier weight and then learning to use these skills once out.

I know I just said a lot and I hope I didn't confuse you too much. You are brave and I am proud of you for taking this step.

iwanttolive

Tryingtoheal
My weight is already

too much.

iwanttolive
Okay

Okay that being the case you will be taught how to deal with emotions and pain without using behaviors whatever they may be. You will learn what your body needs for nutrition and how to approach food from a healthier mindset. What do you want to get out of this hospital stay? Thank you for responding to my long post

Tryingtoheal
Didn't read it

it was too long.

iwanttolive
Tryingtoheal

Hi. I know it was long. Maybe you can try it in pieces? I think it might help for when you go into treatment. If you can't I understand.

Tryingtoheal
Too much

not really.

iwanttolive
okay

That's okay. I hope you do well at the treatment center.

Tryingtoheal
Thank

you.

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources