National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jujugreen
feeling like a fraud in recovery

Am I the only one feeling like I was faking it all along because I'm actually not struggling too much in recovery (anorexia). I've gained a lot of weight in a very short time which the quarantine has contributed to very certainly and am starting to accept it but feel very guilty because it makes me feel like I had been pretending to everyone myself included I had a big problem because I wanted attention.

julesthefox
Signs of success are NOT

Signs of success are NOT signs of pretending. The fact that you’re even worried about it makes it clear that you are not and never were faking anything. Feelings like you’re having show just how powerful ED is; it’s trying to suck you back in by telling you these lies. Don’t let it take control again. I’m so glad you’re taking steps to accept yourself just as you are. That’s amazing and takes so much courage and strength. Know that you are not alone. One of the most common lies ED tells is that “we’re not sick enough”. There is no such thing. You are worthy of life, happiness, and recovery, no matter where you’re at
Keep fighting,
Julesthefox

AndiTutti
Your post is me

That is exactly how I've been feeling! I'm so relieved to hear I am not the only one who feels like a fraud. EDs are driven by comparison and I constantly compare myself to those who are struggling more even though I know I shouldn't. Good luck with your recovery and thank you!

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources