National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
alyssa02
Urges

I was wondering if anyone had insight into dealing with wanting to purge. I've been back in recovery for a few months now, but have just recently started getting these urges again. They seem to come out of the blue and all of a sudden it is all I can think about. I know this is part of the process, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help cope with these when they occur?

lateral_hypothalamus
What I do When I Want to Purge Again

Hello,
I have the same struggle- where I am suddenly getting purge urges again after months of progress. it SUCKS, but here is what has kept me from doing it...
Heres what I do:
1. Get OUT of the bathroom--> I don't want to set myself up for failure, so I remove myself from there temporarily so I can revisit in 5 mins
2. Set a timer for 5 minutes. For me this is all the time I need to do the rest of the list and come to a decision
3. Slow down my breathing, look at things that make me happy (pictures of my cats help)
4. (the hard part) start listing pros and cons

basically, every time I do this, the pro is "temporary emptiness and satisfaction"

and the cons are something along the lines of "ruining your esophagus," "puffy face,""this is only a very small amount of food gone for a whole lot of pain," "undoing all the progress I've made," "setting myself up for relapse," "starting a cycle that gets me out of control again," etc.

So in the end... purging is never my logical conclusion. Give yourself 5 minutes to think it over. If by the end of it, you've convinced yourself that its worth it, by all means, the decision is ultimately yours. You have the power and control in the situation and for people like us, the strong thing to do is to take a step back and think about it. You are not in control or more powerful or more sick if you purge- the ED is controlling you and making you only reactive to emotion.

hope this helps

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources