National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
letsrecovertogether
Self-quarantine + ED

Hi, is anyone else struggling with being home all day (due to the COVID-19 quarantine) and increasing food/ED -related thoughts? The past few days have been fine, but I can't help but worry how strong ED will continue to become during these next few weeks when we are supposed to stay home as much as we can. Luckily, I think living with 4 other roommates will prevent me from engaging in behaviors, but I also worry that I won't have my "me" time to decompress from all the fat-talk and diet culture around, or somewhere to escape to when my ED thoughts become too loud. I'm trying to stay positive and do more things to keep my "healthy voice" strong, so hopefully that helps. Anyways, hope everyone is staying safe and keeping their healthy voices active too during this strange time!

iwanttolive
letsrecovertogether

Hi there. I read your post earlier. I wrote something yesterday about this. I get anxious when I have to stay home all day, but am working on talking to God, and myself, knowing that if I focus on being in quarantine I will get more anxious. As far as eating disorder issues I understand how difficult it can be. When I had anorexia I was terrified of eating with people and needed to get out. Also I lived with my parent's who were weight and food over focused. So I get how upsetting that can be.

Are you able to talk with your roommates again especially since you all will be together a lot, and let them know your needs?

For me. I am okay with my eating, I would say I am in recovery for the most part. In order to stay calm and not get overwhelmed I am turning to God, talking with friends and learning where my strength lies. In Jesus. I am not saying it is going to be easy but I am saying I am choosing to think positive thoughts and not feed the negative. I am not sure of your beliefs but for me there is no other way. I wear a shirt that says Jesus is Enough. Now I get to live it. I hope this helps.

iwanttolive

letsrecovertogether
Hi, thanks so much for your

Hi, thanks so much for your reply! I myself am not religious, but I'm glad you have your faith and that you are staying positive! Thanks for sharing a little bit about yourself too. To be honest, I'm a little nervous about telling them, but I know it's in my best interest. We'll get through this!

iwanttolive
letsrecovertogether

Hi there. I read your post earlier. I wrote something yesterday about this. I get anxious when I have to stay home all day, but am working on talking to God, and myself, knowing that if I focus on bring quararanteen I will get more anxious. As far as eating disorder issues I understand how difficult it can be. When I had anorexia I was terrified of eating with people and needed to get out. Also I lived with my parent's who were weight and food over focused. So I get how upsetting that can be.

Are you able to talk with your roommates again especially since you all will be together a lit and let them know your needs?

For me. I am okay with my eating, I would say I am in recovery for the most part. In order to stay calm and not get overwhelmed I am turning to God, talking with friends and learning where my strength lies. In Jesus. I am not saying it is going to be easy but I am saying I am choosing to think positive thoughts and not feed the negative. I am not sure of your beliefs but for me there is no other way. I wear a shirt that says Jesus is enough. Now I get to live it. I hope this helps.

iwanttolive

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources