National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
My mate is in a low-quality facility in Massachusetts, needs better care.Seeking outside case manager

My deeply depressed mate in her late 50s with a long history of bipolar disorder and anorexia is in a poor quality locked-down inpatient facility in Massachusetts in or near the Boston area that I decline to name at this point. She is there voluntarily but wants a better quality place to go. We don't live together, we are in a long-distance relationship and I don't live in Massachusetts. She's getting horrifically poor care with no individual or group therapy, but she is quite limited in her inpatient treatment options [e.g., as a Medicaid-Medicare patient, the Commonwealth Care Alliance behavioral health care doesn't cover the far better McLean facility affiliated with Harvard.] She needs supportive inpatient care for both the depression and eating disorder at least on the short term somewhere else in Massachusetts, and while I'm researching this on my own, I'm trying to find some organization or non-profit that offers case manager assistance in Massachusetts or near Boston.

Also, how do I let her know about specific facebook groups or peers with advice about Massachusetts-specific facilities or organizations with case managers who can help her navigate the system and find better care. She doesn't have coverage in any other state , for now.

Your suggestions welcome.
Thanks, Art


Hi ArtL7, the NEDA Helpline is an option to talk about finding resources. It can be reached at 800.931.2237 or chat with them online ( M-TH 9-9 EST and F 9-5 EST. Please don’t hesitate to reach out, and take care.