National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
iwanttolive
crooked_heart

Hi. I thought it would be a good idea to start a new post thread. I want to welcome you to the forum. I am sorry things got so convoluted with your original post. That doesn't happen often.

I do understand some of what you are going through. There have been times in my years of struggle where I did and sometimes just eat and stuff myself because I don't want to feel my emotional pain. Just tonight things are so bad with so much going on in my life that I want to eat. I am not going to and called a friend and there is also not much food in the house, but if I wanted to I could eat. I am choosing not to, not that this always works. It is difficult when we feel out of control and shoving food down seems the only way to cope. I want to let you know that with help, and understanding what is going on for you that is causing you to need to binge or restrict, it can get better. Having support, having someone to talk with about things going on and learning ways to control the binging and restricting are things you can learn in therapy, which is why the others recommended you seeing if you might get help with a therapist.

I know it is scary and difficult. But I also know it can get better. I now struggle with overeating but it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, and I no longer purge. I also no longer restrict. My weight fluctuates by about x amount of x and I do not like it but I am also not using my skills as I need to be and I am now going go get more help to get me stabilized again. But it is really so much better than before.

I want to encourage you to post again and share your thoughts and struggles. We just are not allowed to mention food or calories or weight. But we can share how we are feeling, things we are struggling with that can lead us to misuse food and get the support we need. So welcome again and please let us know how you are doing.

iwanttolive

crooked_heart
iwanttolive

Thank you iwanttolive. I have a hard time because I now my body needs food but it feels so wrong once I eat. I keep restricting more and more and that just makes it worse because now even a small amount feels like a lot. It’s overwhelming and all I can think about. I’m trying to stop restricting and it’s almost been a week since I purged.

crooked_heart
iwanttolive

Thank you iwanttolive. I have a hard time because I now my body needs food but it feels so wrong once I eat. I keep restricting more and more and that just makes it worse because now even a small amount feels like a lot. It’s overwhelming and all I can think about. I’m trying to stop restricting and it’s almost been a week since I purged.

iwanttolive
crooked_heart

Hi there. That is good news about the purging, not purging I should say. That is a difficult thing to do. Since you stopped purging, do you think you have been restricting more? Can you talk with your therapist about this? I am glad you are getting support here. If it is at all possible, see if you can try to eat some as it will help prevent your body from being in starvation mode, which will liken the chances for binging. I am not a professional. I say this from personal experience. There are many days when having lunch doesn't happen, or I get up late and it messes up the day with getting in three meals. This has been an issue for a while with me and getting in three meals is really important for me and stabilizing my eating behaviors. That is why I mention it. But the best thing for you to do is talk with a dietician or your therapist for more precise advice specifically geared toward your particular struggle. I am here to support you and listen. I understand the feeling of thinking I have overeaten when it is only a small amount, and I have also felt I had a huge binge when it was more overeating. It bounces both ways. I am glad you are reaching out for support and hope you continue to. Post again if you need to and I hope that what I said was okay with you. Take care.

iwanttolive

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources