National Eating Disorders Association

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
crooked_heart
Urges

How do you guys fights urges to shove everything in your mouth or to just not eat anything? Those are the only two ways I feel like I do things, never in moderation. Do others understand this? I don’t know how I got here, I just feel so wrong.

JohnDogan
Hey there,

Hey there,

Food is good for you. Don't be afraid of it.

_admin_moderator
Edited your comment

Dear JohnDogan, we would like to inform you that we edited your comment to remove language and advice which could be triggering to others. You can review our community guidelines here. Thanks for understanding.

Savedbygrace
Unfortunately

This type of advice will be deleted. You are not a medical expert.

Savedbygrace
There are no good or bad foods

Parts of your post will still be deleted.

tryingtobebrave
That is totally inappropriate

That is totally inappropriate advice for an eating disorder recovery forum. It’s triggering as we’re trying to learn, as Savedbygrace said, there are no good or bad foods. They do not have any type of moral value, regardless of what type of symptoms you have. Of course a lot of us, including myself, have types of foods we fear or gravitate towards, but that is unhealthy thinking we’re trying to change.

tryingtobebrave
crooked_heart

I’m sorry your post got taken over like that.
Usually using behaviors whether one extreme or the other, is a coping mechanism to deal with something going on. Is there anything in your life happening that’s stressful or upsetting at the moment? Anxiety, depression, trauma? Do you think you would be able to see a therapist? NEDA has resources for therapists that specialize in ED. I know how hard it can be to get out of the binge-restrict cycle. Writing down my triggers and emotions I was feeling at the time of behaviors helped me identify some of the issues that lead me to binge and restrict.

crooked_heart
Thanks

Thank you, I don’t really know what happened in this post but you are helpful, so thank you. I have both anxiety and depression but there is no one big thing, it has just worked it’s way into my life and taken over

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources