National Eating Disorders Association

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
karenc
I feel really dizzy

I feel really dizzy but I'm too scared to go to the hospital

Savedbygrace
It sounds like

A medical emergency, and despite your fear, you need to go. Eating disorders are nothing to mess around with.

Miggi
Being dizzy is one of the

Being dizzy is one of the tell tale signs of under-nutrition. Your body is shutting down, I know it's really really scary, but you love your body and you want whats best for it. If you broke your leg you would go, It is really scary but you need to go.

HeroCat
I hope you're ok

I hope you took the advice given and went to the hospital. I know the fear you must have been facing at the prospect of having to admit to your ED at the hospital, but that's better than some of the alternatives!

_admin_moderator
karenc

Hi karenc - you mentioned some concerning symptoms in your post, and we wanted to make sure to affirm that this is a sign for which you may want to seek medical attention. The following are just some of the signs of a serious problem that demands immediate medical attention: •accidentally or deliberately caused themselves a physical injury •become suicidal •confused thinking and is not making any sense •delusions (false beliefs) or hallucinations (experiencing things that aren’t there) •disoriented; doesn’t know what day it is, where they are or who they are •vomiting several times a day or has uncontrollable vomiting or diarrhea •experiencing dizziness or fainting spells •too weak to walk or collapses •painful muscle spasms •complaining of chest pain or having trouble breathing •blood in their bowel movements, urine or vomit •a body mass index (BMI) of less than 16 •an irregular heartbeat, and fast heartbeat, or very low heart beat (less than 50 beats per minute) •cold or clammy skin indicating a low body temperature or has a body temperature of less than 35 degrees Celsius/95 degrees Fahrenheit. If you experience any of the above, we highly recommend that you seek medical attention as soon as possible. Another option is 911. Seek medical help soon on an outpatient basis if you: •have significant heartburn and/or a burning sensation after eating •have other gastrointestinal concerns •have high blood pressure •struggle with significant joint or muscle pain •have difficulty sleeping (falling and/or remaining asleep) •struggle with fatigue, sudden weight gain, and/or hair loss •have frequent urination or unquenchable thirst •have gained and lost significant weight repeatedly •have gained significant weight in a short period of time •struggle with chronic diarrhea or constipation. Please do not hesitate to call the NEDA helpline at 1-800-931-2237 (Monday-Thursday 9:00am-9:00pm, Friday 9:00am-5:00pm EST) if you need help finding resources and support. Please take care.

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources