National Eating Disorders Association

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
meerkat123
Hair regrowth curly

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I have recently gone to treatment, and have been weight restored for around 5 months. Before treatment, my hair was falling out. I probably lost about 1/3 of my hair. But now, since I have been eating properly, my hair is growing back. The weird thing is, it is growing back curly. My hair has been straight my entire life. But since I lost a bunch, it is coming in curly. The hair that did not fall out is still stick straight, its just the regrowth that is curly. At first I thought it was just because it was short. But it is now about 2.5ish inches long and is still quite curly. I am not upset by this, just quite amused. I have no idea why it is doing this, or if it will even stay like this. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.
Thanks.

Mia_Mcnamara
Hi, I can’t answer your

Hi, I can’t answer your question but wanted to ask you about hair regrowth. I have been losing my hair for nearly a year now and have recently reached a healthy weight. When did your hair start to fully grow back and the hair loss stop? I am just worried as I don’t know what else I can do.

meerkat123
Hair regrowth

Hey, Sorry it took me so long to respond.
For me, a couple weeks into treatment is when I noticed my hair stoped falling out. That was about 6 months ago now. As of today i am at a healthy weight and my hair is still growing back. But it is getting longer (and more curly). I am told it will prbably be another 6 months (so a total of 1 year) for my hair to be all the same length. If you are at a healthy weight, and still losing your hair, I would recomend seeing your health care provider. Eventhough you are at a healthy weight, hair can start to fall out if there are certain vitamin dificiencies (I am not a doctor so I do not know for sure).

marionaudash
Totally the same for me! I

Totally the same for me! I had to buy a hair straightener...
My hairdresser tells me that she has some clients with cancer and so their hairs fell too and also grew back curly but after a while it became straight again :)

sporkhunter
I Can Relate

This is so crazy, I'm glad I'm not the only one, and I haven't heard anyone else say they experienced this, too! While my hair isn't super curly, it was pin straight before treatment, and a few months after treatment, I noticed that it started getting wavier. That means it's more healthy, so keep up the progress! :)

sporkhunter
I Can Relate

This is so crazy, I'm glad I'm not the only one, and I haven't heard anyone else say they experienced this, too! While my hair isn't super curly, it was pin straight before treatment, and a few months after treatment, I noticed that it started getting wavier. That means it's more healthy, so keep up the progress! :)

KSage
I Can Relate

During my worst point during this bout of my eating disorder, my hair got really thin (which never happened to me before). But now that I am doing better and it has been getting thicker, it has also gotten a little bit of a curl to it...which I have NEVER had before. It is has always been straight as a board, so I am having to get adjusted to this.

breeszewcgnb54
Vitamins

I am sorry that I revived this thread... But you did take some vitamins? I did not notice you to mention what kind of treatment you took. I am not ill and my weight is healthy, but I have been losing a lot of hair for more than 2 years. So, I started to take some supplements from an online store , I notice a change, more hair is growing, but it is falling out anyway. I don't find this very unusual because it grows back anyway. However, I want to know what treatment did you take. Thanks in advance.

_admin_moderator
Dear breeszewcgnb54, we would

Dear breeszewcgnb54, we would like to inform you that we edited your post to remove the link you have posted. As per our community guidelines, outside links are not allowed on the forums. Thanks for your understanding!  

soniamann
there are problems with hair,

Haha, nice. I would like to have curly hair. This should be amazing. I adore girls with curly hair. They are more special in my opinion. I didn't do such an experiment, but after I did dreadlocks, my hair was a little curly the first time I took them out. But in time, he came back, and he's right again. Maybe your hair will be straight again in a while. By the way, you can learn how to do all kinds of hairstyles from the internet.

recoveryj
Stick with recovery. Eat the

Stick with recovery. Eat the meals and snacks. Listen to your body. Nourish yourself. You deserve it, and your hair will thank you

Tryingtoheal
This is not allowed

Names of medications, foods and beverages as well as outside links. Plus, everyone is special, despite what they look like.

mavisdrac66
I kind of experienced the

I kind of experienced the opposite. I was never underweight but was close enough. My hair has always been so curly. When I started recovery I cut it (as in like a new start) and it started growing back straighter (not like completely straight but straighter). I think it might also have to do with your age because hair structure changes in different stages of puberty. Unless you’re older, but I’m sure it has to do with restoring hormonal balance and stuff.

IsabelleGilbert
This problem is quite common.

This problem is quite common. Numerous factors can cause it. Stress and anxiety are one of the most common causes. I had this problem at a difficult time in my life. I tried special products that had to be applied to my hair. First, it is necessary to begin to solve the problem from its origins. Often the problems are generated in our heads. A person cannot cope with his thoughts and emotions, which leads to bad consequences. It is very cool that nowadays, many beauty problems can be solved with advanced aesthetics. At https://www.nwcollege.edu/programs/advanced-aesthetics , you can learn about the different training programs. Becoming an expert in this field will make hundreds of people happy.