National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
confusedasf
really needing support

I am in finals week at my university and have been stuck in a relapse all semester and I am in a scary place mentally. I am barely scraping by but only have 7 days left so I have to push through. Anyway, I am experiencing extreme anxiety and depression and I am too scared to do anything because I dont want to somehow make existing any more painful that it is.
I am wondering if anyone has some tips on how to quiet your mind so you can actually study and tips for dealing with extreme emotions and then periods of detachment Very hopeless.

sarcares
Hi confusedasf,

Hi confusedasf,

Sorry that you are feeling this way!! One thing that always helped me get through tough times at school was trying to reframe things from “I have to” to “I get to” or “I’m making the choice to”. For example think of why you are really writing the exam. Is it because “I have to in order to get my degree” or is it “I’m writing my exam because I want to get a degree and want to show how much I have learned”.

I totally understand your thought process and I want to assure you you’re not alone! I graduated last year and had bouts of feeling the same way - and hey, here I am (I survived). It sounds like even though you are having a tough time you want to get through finals because they are important to you - which is why you feel you must push through. Try and relax and enjoy the process of studying and learning new things! I also always found that studying in common areas (libraries, coffee shops) provided me with enough distraction that I could Stop and people watch if needed, but also helped me feel that I wasn’t alone and that others in the same area were probably feeling the same way - maybe this would work for you too?

Also at the end of the day finals and just finals. They aren’t worth ruining your mental health over. The worst case scenario you show up and do your best - and sometimes simply showing up and writing the finals is your best.

confusedasf
I like that idea of reframing

I like that idea of reframing a lot. I am going to try that. Thanks so much for your post. It honestly does comfort me that you have felt similar, I feel so alone in all of this. Thanks again.

_admin_moderator
confusedasf

Hi confusedasf, we’re so sorry to hear you are feeling hopeless right now. Since you mentioned some concerning feelings, we wanted to make sure you have access to resources if you need support. 

Also know that the NEDA Helpline can be reached at 800.931.2237 or chat with them online (http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/helplinechat) M-TH 9-9 EST and F 9-5 EST. You are not alone and please take care.