National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
dittoditto
Happy Thanksgiving BobJ48

I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving. Thank you for always being here for us.

May I ask what got you involved with EDs?

BobJ48
Ditto

I had a friend with EDs who passed away after we knew each other for several years. While she was still alive, I asked for some help on Something Fishy, which was the big ED board at the time. The person who answered my post had EDs herself, and she and I ended up emailing back and forth for a year or so. Then she started a recovery group on Yahoo Groups and asked me to be on it. So instead of just talking with her, suddenly I was right in the middle of the ED community, talking with a whole bunch of other people too. After doing that for several years, I went back to Something Fishy,and was the mod on their Partners and Spouses forum, where I tried to help partners "get it" about what was going on with the people they cared about. Because if partners understand, I think it helps the person with the ED too. But I've continued to work on forums for people with EDs since the beginning, and have been a member of the current big evil one since it first started. Oddly, a bunch of us from the original Yahoo forum I was on are still friends. They were in their late teens or a bit older back then, and are close to 40 right now ( and doing better) and we still all stay in touch in a regular way.

But yes, it was all because I had a friend who I was really concerned about. I miss her still.

dittoditto
BobJ48

I'm sorry, BobJ48. You are a wonderful person to help all of us deal with this. I believe I remember Something Fishy. I think that was the site I was originally on regarding my husband's niece. EDs seem to run in families. That's probably true for most mental illnesses, physical illnesses, and addictions. So ist das leben.

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources