National Eating Disorders Association

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
taupelle
Dizzy Spells

Hi all, I’m new here so hopefully I do everything correctly. I’ve been struggling with an eating disorder for around 14 years now, and I’ve been in and out of recovery. I’ve had a pretty recent relapse after being “recovered” for a few months. I didn’t notice I was relapsing at first but I’ve been restricting my food intake and have developed some pretty intense food fears.

I noticed something was wrong when I started having super intense dizzy spells. I’ll be laying down and suddenly my head is buzzing and the room is spinning. I’ve also noticed that I get exhausted super quickly, I’ll get tired after just standing up to go to the restroom and my heart will start racing. I’m not used to the dizzy spells and I’ve never had them before when previously restricting. Is this something normal? Can anyone else relate to this? If I drink a Gatorade while having a dizzy spell I’ve noticed that it tends to help and the dizziness subsides.

_admin_moderator
Dear taupelle, welcome to the

Dear taupelle, welcome to the forums! Some of the symptoms you described are sigs of a medical emergency that requires immediate medical attention. The following are just some of the signs of a serious problem that demands immediate medical attention:

• accidentally or deliberately caused themselves a physical injury
  • become suicidal
  • confused thinking and is not making any sense
  • delusions (false beliefs) or hallucinations (experiencing things that aren’t there)
  • disoriented; doesn’t know what day it is, where they are or who they are
  • vomiting several times a day or has uncontrollable vomiting or diarrhea
  • experiencing dizziness or fainting spells
  • too weak to walk or collapses
  • painful muscle spasms
  • experience pain in the lower legs
  • complaining of chest pain or having trouble breathing
  • blood in their bowel movements, urine or vomit
  • a body mass index (BMI) of less than 16
  • an irregular heartbeat, and fast heartbeat, or very low heart beat (less than 50 beats per minute)
  • cold or clammy skin indicating a low body temperature or has a body temperature of less than 35 degrees Celsius/95 degrees Fahrenheit
  • experience dizziness, nausea, fever
  • wounds/cuts heal slowly
  • feel tingling in the hands or feet
  • blurred vision

Seek medical help soon on an outpatient basis if you:

• have significant heartburn and/or a burning sensation after eating
  • have other gastrointestinal concerns
  • have high blood pressure
  • struggle with significant joint or muscle pain
  • have difficulty sleeping (falling and/or remaining asleep)
  • struggle with fatigue, sudden weight gain, and/or hair loss
  • have frequent urination or unquenchable thirst
  • have gained and lost significant weight repeatedly
  • have gained significant weight in a short period of time
  • struggle with chronic diarrhea or constipation

We hope that you get your symptoms addressed. 

alwaysthinking
Welcome

Hi, and welcome to the forum. It does sound like you need to get medical attention, for sure. I've had dizziness when I restrict a lot, so I know how scary it can be. Please take care of yourself, and let us know how you are doing.

taupelle
Dehydration

Thank you both for the kind welcomes and responses. Turns out I was severely dehydrated and was almost hospitalized. This has really opened my eyes to how dangerous my eating disorder is though, and I will be admitted to a residential treatment facility sometime this month.

alwaysthinking
So sorry

Keep us posted as to your recovery. I've gone through the dehydration process numerous times - not fun. Take care

Miggi
Yes, I can relate. I think it

Yes, I can relate. I think it's tied to our bodies not getting enough nutrients. My vision used to blur out whenever I stood up, and I had to stop and lie on the floor in the middle of a shower because I was so exhausted. They get better when I eat more and more frequently.