National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
tryingtobebrave
Fight back thought?

I’m really struggling to accept that my body naturally gravitates towards a higher weight. I feel fat and gross and feel like I need to lose. According to the BMI (which rationally I know is crap) I’m really overnight but bloodwork and tests show I’m healthy at this weight not using behaviors.
Can someone help me find a fight back thought to accept my body at a higher weight and keep maintaining recovery?
I’m really tired of hating my body and fighting so hard not to give into behaviors to lose. I’m depressed, my chronic pain is really bad and I’m drained mentally. Hating my body is exhausting.

julesthefox
I understand how exhausting

I understand how exhausting that can be. I have a lot of struggles with my body and body image as well. And chronic pain always seems to make it worse. I’m sorry you’re having such a rough day. We can know things objectively (ex BMI is nothing) but it’s so much more difficult to feel them.
If it helps, maybe think about the fact that there are people out there that think you’re beautiful, even if you can’t always see it. And they’re not wrong. There’s nothing you can say that can convince them otherwise. Because beauty has nothing to do with weight. It has nothing to do with shape. Beauty is found by those who see it. And you are beautiful, not only on the inside, but the outside as well, just by being who you are.
Stay strong.
Julesthefox

alwaysthinking
Thought

I don't know if this will help, but something I try to say to myself, is "who I am is way more important than how I look or what I eat." And if that doesn't, try to think about the fact that God loves you and always has and always will...no matter what you weigh, or how you look. And He's the Supreme Authority, so what else really matters? I understand, though, it's a lot easier to know these things than it is to feel them. Here for you.