National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
dittoditto
Another Aha

Sometimes work teaches me life lessons. There is a young man at work. We have become work-friends. I enjoy chatting with him. He will be leaving for another job soon. This makes me sad, as I will miss him.

He vapes. I've been reading the stories in the news about the damage vaping does, about the young people who have died from this filthy habit, about how ill others have become. I've read that the President wants to ban it from being sold.

I casually mentioned to this young man that I have read these stories and I asked if he read them too. He said he had. He said it wouldn't happen to him because he has been smoking for 10 years, and because he is young and healthy. I dropped the subject; because really this is his body, and his life, and it has nothing to do with me.

And then I thought that this is my husband's life, and my husband's body, and it has nothing to do with me. I have my own life I need to concentrate on.

I think I am learning how to detach.

butterflying
Hi dittoditto

I agree on the filthy habit on vaping is extremely dangerous for those who use it, but it's a great mindset to have; that is not your body or your life, and it has nothing to do with you. Especially how you brought it back to your husband and what he chooses to do with his body. Sometimes we do need to detach ourselves from others in order to focus on ourselves and our own healing.
Thank you for talking about your experience and how you're learning how to detach from certain situations or people in order to focus on your own life. Keep in touch. <3