National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
katymacie
What to do

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here, I guess because I thought I was doing okay. I went to outpatient this summer after deciding that I didn't want IOP (something I'm regretting a bit now) and I got weight restored for the first time in a long time. If I'm being honest though, I didn't really take my treatment seriously because I figured that if I was eating I was fine, even though I did know my thoughts were still there. The problem is that I'm not afraid of food or gaining weight like I used to be, but I just honestly love restricting and I miss it when I'm not doing it, but I figured that because it was something I wanted to do I could stop whenever I wanted too. Well, apparently that's not the case because I got back to college 5 days ago now and started restricting again pretty much immediately, which isn't really what I want because I know it'll eventually get me kicked out of school if I continue down the slippery slope, which I think I will without a lot of help because I just don't seem to know how to stop. Sorry for the rant - here's my question: Has anyone been in this situation while in school before? what did you do? I went to my school's counseling center all of last year for help and it was nice, but it just wasn't enough - I know that I need more accountability and supervision. Should I find the nearest IOP (I go to school in the middle of no where) or should I take a break from school for treatment closer to home? I hate the idea of falling behind, but I'm starting to hate the idea of having what are supposed to be some of the best years of my life jaded by this disease even more. If anyone has opinions or just has been through something similar I'd love to hear your thoughts. Wishing you all the best xx

sarcares
Some insight

I’m somewhat in the same boat. I’m in school and have been using the school resources which are mediocre at best and just not what I need. I found and op clinic within a drivable distance to my uni and tried that...but with their waitlists and lac of full time staff they told me to use what I have at my school.... honestly for me, staying in school is more important to me than committing to a full time day program because I like being at school. I don’t want this eating disorder taking control of absolutely everything I have. That’s just me tho. I know everyone’s different and I think if you can find a support system close to your school it’s worth a shot. Recently I have found venturing off campus for support has really allowed me to separate my “school life” from my health concerns. Now when I’m at school and on campus I can devote that time to school and socializing - without the mixture of appts on campus and the vibe of a medical setting at school.

Hopefully this is someone helpful - but again this is just my own experience :)