National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
akstaab
My therapist thinks I have an eating disorder

My therapist told me that if I didn’t change and quickly, she’d call my psychiatrist and recommend he place me in an anorexia program. Sorry, I don’t know the terminology because this is very new to me.

I’m 59 years old, a male, and have lost a lot of weight this year. I don’t eat very much but drink lots of water. Food and the process of eating disgusts me, but mainly I just want to disappear. I don’t deserve food. Although I’m not underweight yet, my therapist says I’m definitely malnourished. I was in the psychiatric hospital in June (I have bipolar), and after that my problem with food really accelerated.

Does anyone have a comment? Am I in trouble? I am most appreciative for your thoughts.

Andy

_admin_moderator
Welcome, Andy!

Hi Andy! We are so happy you’re here. Your post had to be edited because you included specifics about calories and weight. Please leave numbers out of it when posting on the forum. You can take a look at our Community Guidelines here: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forums/community-guidelines. We also want to make sure you know about the NEDA Helpline! In addition to these forums, please feel free to contact the Helpline at (800) 931-2237, open Mondays-Thursdays 9AM-9PM EST and Fridays 9AM-5PM EST. During these hours you can chat with us also by clicking the chat now option at the top right hand corner! And please continue posting. :)

alwaysthinking
help

it sounds like you could use some help, whether by inpatient, PHP, or IOP, i don't know, because obviously, i'm not qualified to diagnosis that. I would use NEDA to ask for referrals and call different places to ask for an assessment. they could tell you what level of care you need and where to go for help. it sounds like you realize you know you're needing help and just don't know where to turn. welcome to the forum, and don't forget, there is a forum devoted for males, as well. hope you keep posting and keep us updated.