National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
tylersz
first time post/resources for men

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting in a forum like this to open up, but I’ve been battling anorexia and bulimia for almost a year now. As a guy, I find it harder to find resources for men with EDs, and nobody outside of my close family knows that I’m in treatment and therapy. I guess that leads in a two-edged question.. Are there any tips or advice on ways to get connected with other men who are recovering that can share their stories? And also, I really want to be able to open up to friends, other family, etc, but I’m very scared of how it would be perceived :/ I don’t want it to be looked at as something that’s “wrong” with me, and other guys can be very abrasive about something like this. Is there any way to go about it, or should I look at it as maybe if my friends wouldn’t be there for me about it, then it’s time to look for new friends? Thanks again, I hope I stayed within the rules for this forum

koifish22
Dear tylersz,

I know it feels like it, but you're not alone. You should reach out to your friends and let them know what you're going through, but also let them know that you're working towards getting better. And I'm not sure if you saw, but there is an entire forum with men with eating disorders.
It must have taken a lot of will to post on this forum, and for that, I applaud you. Keep it up. And every time that you call out, you're a little less alone (yes i used a song lyric from "you will be found") Reach out to that other forum as well, and keep up your recovery.
Write back if you get the chance please ?

alwaysthinking
Welcome

I second everything the above poster said and if you want more resources your best bet is to contact Neda and ask them. Welcome to The Forum and I hope you get the support you need. I've known a couple of guys now that have eating disorders and I recognize how difficult it can be for you. So I hope you are able to continue to share and continue to grow.