National Eating Disorders Association

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
meagan1995
New and Looking for Support

Hi all! I'm newly entering the world of seeking treatment for years of eating disorders. It's strange to open up to myself about the realities of my experience with the disorder, much less to open up to my therapist, friends, and others. I'm wondering if anyone has specific advice or experiences they could share about coming to terms with recovery, as well as building a broad, honest, and authentic support network. My family is not supportive, and my friends are either unaware or uncomfortable with discussing eating disorders and mental health in general, so I find myself feeling lonely and isolated more often than not. I'd really appreciate any advice you all have to offer, or even just to hear about your own experiences.
Lots of love and healing!
xxMeagan

_admin_moderator
Welcome!

Hi! Thank you for posting. Please take a look at our community guidelines here: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forums/community-guidelinesIf you’re looking for resources, please feel free to contact the Helpline at (800) 931-2237. The Helpline is open Mondays-Thursdays 9AM-9PM EST and Fridays 9AM-5PM EST. During these hours you can chat with us also by clicking the chat now option at the top right hand corner! Please continue posting!  

ape130
Welcome I hope you will find

Welcome I hope you will find support here. Do you go to any eda groups?

lovetowrite81
Meagan1995

Hi Meagan-

Also wanted to welcome you to the forums! I'm so glad that you are starting to get the support you need for ED- I know it can be really challenging to start being real with ourselves and others about what we are going through for the first time. I'm glad you recognize the importance of a strong support network and are actively seeking that. I have found that to be such a central part of my recovery journey.

It is unfortunate that your family is not supportive and there are barriers to being able to share with friends. What are your thoughts about seeking a support group in your area or some kind of community focused on health/wellness? I currently run a Meetup in my area that focuses on openly sharing about mental health issues, so maybe something along those lines could be something to look for.

I am grateful that I am close with my mom and do numerous friends that have gone through similar experiences whether with ED or mental health struggles in general- I've also found that some people surprised me when I did take the risk to share with them and my being open allowed them to feel more comfortable discussing their mental/emotional challenges as well. So my support system continues to grow as I push through my fears of others maybe not knowing how to react- and I have found myself surprised that certain people have been able to surround and support me in ways I wouldn't have expected, and friendships have deepened in this way.

I know it can be a difficult road to finding those authentic, safe relationships and it does take time. I hope you know that while different than face to face communication, you are always welcome and encouraged to share here on the forums with others who do understand and are walking the same path. Hope to hear from you again soon <3

CASACERA
ditto everything

We need each other and are here for each other. WELCOME! CC

alwaysthinking
Welcome

Don't really have much to add but Welcome to The Forum. Hope you find the support you need

anjede14
Hello! my name is Alyssa and

Hello! my name is Alyssa and I just need some support from people who know what I am talking about. I don't think I have an ed or anything, but I just broke my streak of  restricting and ate in extreme excess for about X days now. What can I do? will I get fat? has anyone experienced this? I am afraid, and need support from like minds. thank you.